𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

THE JEDI TEMPLE, CORUSCANT, 32BBY

SENIOR PADAWAN OBI-WAN KENOBI CLENCHES his hands into fists at his sides and briefly wonders just how Qui-Gon Jinn would react if his Padawan happened to step forward and slap him across the face.

It's not the first time he's ever thought about it. Qui-Gon Jinn has a propensity for inciting violence within his Padawan. He can be insufferable at times, but this is by far the worst stunt he's ever pulled.

Qui-Gon stands with Anakin in the middle of the High Council Chamber, his hands on the younger boy's shoulders. The man's face is set, mouth pursed in a grim line, as he stares down Master Windu. Qui-Gon is still trying to convince the Council to let him train Anakin, the fool.

Obi-Wan stands slightly to the side behind the two of them, watching his Master's plea crash and burn and trying very hard not to enjoy it.

He fails miserably.

"You cannot take another Apprentice," Windu tells Qui-Gon, scowling. Thank God at least one of these idiots has some last ounce of sense. "No matter how strong he is in the Force. The Code forbids it."

Qui-Gon risks a glance over at Obi-Wan, making the Padawan bristle. His Master's gaze is like durasteel, hard and unflinching, and Obi-Wan gets the sense that Qui-Gon's about to drop one of his infamous bombshells.

"Obi-Wan is ready for his Trials," Jinn says when he faces the Masters again. Kenobi inhales sharply before he can stop himself—thankfully, the entire Council seems to shift in their seats, concerned. "There is little more I can teach him."

A strange sense of anger floods Obi-Wan's veins at his Master's words. Of course he's ready for the Trials—he's been ready for months, despite Qui-Gon's protests otherwise—but he'll be damned if he lets himself be thrown aside in place of Anakin karking Skywalker.

He steps forward. "I am ready," spills out of his mouth before he can help himself, voice calm and controlled even though he feels nothing of the sort. After years of standing in front of this Council to defend whatever crazy decision his Master had made at the time, Obi-Wan has learned to control his emotions tightly.

Obi-Wan glances over at his Master, but Qui-Gon won't even look at him. He can feel the entirety of the Jedi Council stretching out in the Force, trying to discern his true feelings, but Obi-Wan tightens his shields. After a second, the probes recede and Windu sighs.

"Now is not the time to decide such an important matter," he finally says, sitting back in his chair. He seems troubled. "Queen Amidala wishes to return to Naboo immediately after her plea to the Senate. You and Padawan Kenobi shall join her in the interest of protection."