CHAPTER 33: SIREN SONG

Date/time ?????

Date/time ?????

I press my nose against the soft skin just underneath his ear and inhale. The few seconds he holds me there aren't enough. It's never enough. Even though my heart beats hard and strong in my chest, this moment, these few precious seconds, always feel like the calm before a beautiful storm. The softness of a Monet, before the vibrancy and colour shocks of a Michael Lang.

My head swims with images of when we first met, and I feel like I'm drowning in them – his smile, his warm laughter, the way he looked at me, his voice. I almost want to drown in them. Let them pull me down to a place where it's all I know, and all I remember. I want what's to come. Of course, I do. But I would also die for this one tranquil moment if it meant reliving it over and over for eternity. It's safe here. Safe from the turmoil that rages in my head. Fuck, does it rage.

Tom tightens his embrace, one hand in my hair, the other pressed against the small of my back and I let out a small sound, almost like a whimper – not through fear of him, but like a small gasp of desperation, of want, a desire so deep and so powerful that it sometimes frightens me. My love for him has always felt all-consuming. Like the world could crash down around us and I wouldn't even notice as long as I had him. The skies could fall and I wouldn't even care. Bring on the hurricanes and tornados. Let the Earth crack under our feet and as long as I was locked into his embrace, everything would be okay.

It'll be okay, won't it?

I want it to be okay. I want to ask him, to hear him say the words, but I don't want him to waver now. I need this. I need him.

He touches my jaw and tenderly tilts my head, so he can press his lips against mine. The kiss is warm and soft, tantalisingly so, and I lean into him, relishing the tingle that sends pleasurable waves right up into my scalp. Our lips part, and it's his tongue that finds mine first. Why do I feel so nervous? Why do I feel like this is our first time together? I've never been nervous around him. If anything, I've always felt empowered, strong, confident. Tom does that to me. Sometimes I think that's his superpower. He makes people feel better about themselves. I've seen him at school with his students, all these kids from hard backgrounds, kids who come from nothing, kids who have nothing and he gives them something to strive for. He makes them want to do better in life – be something.

He makes me want to do better. Be better.

I'm not sure I can though. I have all these thoughts, all these feelings, and I don't know what to do about them anymore. I don't know how to get them all out of my head. I want everything to be like it was. Before.

Before. Before.

'Are you still here?' he whispers against my mouth.

I cling to him. 'Yes. Yes. Always.'