Chapter 26

Katerina De Luca

My tired gaze rested outside the private jet's window as I sat quietly and attempted to sort through my thoughts and feelings. Less than 24 hours ago, I was fully prepared to run away from the most dangerous man I have ever met, Arosio De Luca.

So why in the hell didn't I abandon him when I had the chance?

Why did seeing him passed out worry me so much that I was unable to leave the room as the guards called a doctor?

Why did I willingly take care of Arosio throughout the night and become frantic and depressed when he still hadn't woken up this morning?

Why did I fight with Alejandro and Giovanni to let me sit beside Arosio on his private jet as he laid unconscious on the sofa beside me?

Those two were adamant on keeping me away from Arosio after the doctor confirmed last night that he passed out due to the sleeping pills I had slipped into his milk. Due to a high amount of the drug, complications occurred and now we are flying back to Los Angeles where the De Luca family's doctor resides. Needles were hanging off of Arosio as an Iv drip was secured to his arm, making my heart clench in pain at the sight of him hooked up to those machines.

As soon as they found out this was because of me, Giovanni almost lashed out at me before Alejandro held him back and told him to leave the room to calm down. Those two were almost as scary as Arosio, so how did I gain the courage to fight with them to let me stay beside Arosio on the private jet?

A bitter laugh escaped my trembling lips as the answer to all of these questions finally dawned upon me. I could feel Giovanni and Alejandro's gaze land on me from across the jet as they sat on the opposite side, playing chess together but I ignored them. Lifting one shaky hand up, I wiped the tears that had escaped my widened eyes as I finally realized and accepted a truth that I was blind to before.

I am in love with him.

I am freaking in love with him.

I love Arosio De Luca.

How could I have let this happen?

Was it the moment he held me in his protective embrace when I felt broken and weak after my grandparents were abducted, and he promised to help me through every difficulty in life?

Or was it when he disappeared for hours and returned with new identification documentations, gifting me with a family name that I had been denied by both my birth family and maternal grandparents?

My body slowly turned towards Arosio who laid on the sofa, breathing calmly with his eyes still shut tightly. Since the moment he passed out last night, my heart has been yearning to see those dark eyes again. At first, I thought it was due to guilt but I quickly realized that wasn't the case.

I found myself praying all night for Arosio to get better and for me to be able to see that same dark gaze that had frightened me in the past. The thought of never being able to look into his eyes again, petrified me and deprived me of sleep the whole night.

Unbuckling my seatbelt, my feet slowly shuffled towards Arosio before sitting on the edge of the white sofa. With a shaky hand, I caressed the side of his face with more tears falling from my eyes. I don't like seeing him so vulnerable and weak. It doesn't suit him at all, what I did last night was wrong. So very wrong.

"I'm so sorry, Arosio. I'll accept any punishment, I promise. Please just wake up, please," my pleads fell on deaf ears as Arosio laid perfectly still. More tears fell from my eyes as I leaned over him and cupped both sides of his handsome face in my shaky hands.