Thirteen

"We all know that little secret of yours Adalyn."

"That little Vegas secret? Yeah, news travels fast."

"I cannot believe you lied to everyone!"

"I knew she was a manipulative bitch from the start. She has and never will deserve to be with Luke."

"Adalyn how could you tell everyone! My career is ruined!"

The voices in my dream made me wake up faster than I had ever woken up before. I looked at the clock and it was just after one in the morning, great I had only been asleep for an hour before being startled awake. I sighed as I slipped on my glasses and turned on the lamp next to my bed before getting up and heading into the bathroom. I turned on the faucet and  gently splashed my face with some cold water.

"It's just a dream," I reminded myself before crawling back into my bed. Once I turned the light off again, my skin immediately began to crawl and I knew I wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep. It had been a while since I had had a nightmare, so I didn't remember how badly they actually effected me until that moment.

I laid in bed for another fifteen minutes before finally giving into my ideas and headed to the room across the hall. I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open quietly. I saw Luke rolled over on his side with his eyes shut. I assumed he was asleep, so I knocked quietly on the door frame.

I was relieved when he slowly opened his eyes and looked in my direction, "Adalyn?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, I had a nightmare and can't fall back asleep," I informed him. He quickly pulled his comforter off of the vacant side of his bed and waved me over. I quickly shut his door before padding to his bed and crawling in. Luke threw the covers back over me and I turned, so my head was facing him.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No, it was silly."

"No nightmare is silly. And if you ever have one again, you are always welcome to come in here," He told me.

"Thank you Luke," I mumbled, tucking my arms under my pillow.

"Anytime, now try to fall asleep," He chuckled, shutting his eyes again. I watched him for a few moments before turning around, so I was facing the wall. I tried to shut my eyes, but everytime I did, I saw flashes of my nightmare. Ever since Luke and I had gotten married, it had always been a fear in the back of my mind that our little secret would get out and his career would be over. There was no way in hell that I was going to let that happen. I could picture his heartbroken face in my nightmares and had no desire to see it in real life.

"I can tell your not asleep," Luke muttered, making me turn to face him again.

"How?" I asked.

"Your breathing is uneven," He informed me, peeking at me with half open eyes.

"Oh," was the only think I could think to say.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" He asked me.

I sighed, "I just have this fear in the back of my mind, that somehow our secret is going to get out and everyone is going to find out we lied and that it will ruin your career."

Luke looked at me with surprised eyes, "Please don't stress about this Adalyn. Everyone who knows, knows not to say anything. Nothing will be leaked."

"I hope so."

"Come here," He said, holding his arm up for me to slide underneath. I slid into his arms and he pulled my back into his chest.

"Go to sleep," He whispered into my ear before tucking his head into the crook of my neck.

All it took was me listening to Luke's even breathing for my mind to eventually calm down and fall back asleep. The rest of the night, my dreams were peaceful, no nightmares dared to enter my mind.

When I woke up the next morning, Luke's arms were still around me, but we were in a slightly different sleeping position. My head was on Luke's chest and my arms were wrapped around his body as well.

I went to check the time on my phone, but realized my phone was still on my bedside table, in my bedroom. So, I peeked across Luke, to the clock on his bedside table, and saw it was nine in the morning. Since, I had no work that urgently needed to be done, and Luke was still sleeping, I decided to just stay were I was. I reached my hand up to push Luke's hair out of his face, which caused him to stir.

"Morning sunshine," he smiled before kissing my head.

"Sorry, I wasn't trying to wake you up," I sighed.

"It's okay, I was on the verge of waking up anyway, I felt you moving around," He chuckled.

I unwrapped my arms from him and sat up, "Thank you for letting me crash in your bed."

"No problem. You're welcome anytime, nightmare or no nightmare," He informed me.

"I'm not going to lie, that is the best I've slept in a long time," I told him truthfully.

He smiled at me, "Same here."

"How about some coffee? I'll bring it up here," I asked him.

"Sounds good, I'll be waiting," He replied. I quickly crawled out of the warm bed and put on my glasses before heading out of Luke's room. Before heading downstairs, I grabbed my phone and checked my messages. I had a text from Crystal telling me how cute mine and Luke's little chat on Instagram live was and how she was sorry that people had had so many negative thoughts about mine and Luke's marriage. Her thoughtful message brought a smile to my face and I sent her a quick thank you in response.

I checked my Instagram account whole waiting for the coffee and also noticed I had a huge surge in followers. I assumed it was because the fans all thought Luke and I were going to announce our split before the album release, but it didn't happen.

I quickly slipped my phone into my pocket when the coffee maker went silent and carried the two mugs of steaming coffee up to Luke's room.

"Here you are sir," I giggled, handing him a mug.

"Thank you," He thanked me before taking a sip.

"I got a bunch of new followers on Instagram over night," I informed him.

"That's probably because the fan theory of it being a publicity stunt to promote calm just got debunked," Luke chuckled.

"That's what I was thinking too."

"Well, thank you for the coffee, I've got some work stuff to do, so I'll catch you later," Luke told me before kissing my cheek and heading out of the room.

"See you later," I sighed. It was as if just as quick as the moment of us acting like a couple started, it ended. Maybe he didn't want the same thing as me.

-----

Thank you all for over 1000 reads! I hope all of you are enjoying this story and if you are, make sure to vote! Love all of you <3

xx - Sidney