35: Sacrifice and Change

Hiko left the Hero's memorial with a heavy heart. He had just seen what the effects of this war with the red lotus had brought upon their clan. He had to do something. He made his way back to the main lobby of the hall and approached a front desk. An old lady greeted him politely.

"Hey, is the leader of the clan here? Where can I find him?" Hiko hastily asked the lady who smiled quaintly at him.

"He's at the top floor, but you'll have to make an appointment first before you'll be able to talk to him. Here's an appointment form." The old lady handed Hiko a clipboard of papers. "You may accomplish that there in the waiting area." The old lady gestured at a couch off to the side. Hiko sat down on it and began writing on the Appointment form, filling out every line. Once he had accomplished it he gave it back to the ol lady.

"Your request will be processed in 2 business months." The old lady received the paper and put it in her drawer.

"I have to speak to him now please." Hiko pleaded with the lady.

"I don't think you can do that, young man."

Hiko thought what he'd do. An idea sprung into mind, but it seemed tacky. Nonetheless, he had to do anything.

"I'm Yuan's son, Hiko." The old lady stared at Hiko with an unreadable expression.

"Are you?" The old lady suspiciously raised her eyebrows. Hiko hated doing this but, he had to. He lifted up his sleeve showing a tatoo of the Raven Eagle with three dots below it, a sign of his status. The old lady's eyes widened and quickly fumbled through her drawer and got out a small golden ID she handed to Hiko.

"I apologize for the inconvience, Master Hiko." The old lady bowed down.

"Get up." Hiko muttered before walking away. He looked at the golden ID card which had the floor and room number of the Clan Head. He made his way up five flights of staircases, he looked back down on the ID card. "5th floor, room 112". Hiko started walking to his right, finally reaching room 112. He took a deep sigh before opening the door.

The room was fairly big, but it was evidently not where the Clan Head was. Instead there was a man on a desk, frantically writing on some paper. Hiko approached him and cleared his throat loudly. This made the man flinch and look up with a terrified expression.

"Oh, uh welcome to the office of the Clan Head, do you have an appointment?" The man said rapidly.

"Yeah." Hiko handed the man his Gold card which he gave a small look before returning to his papers.

"You may enter there." The man muttered, while pointing at a door behind him.

Hiko knocked on the door then opened it. There was a huge desk in front of him, a chair behind it containing a wrinkly man who's face was square, who's aura gave off a perpetual anger. His hands were clenched tightly on his desk which was clean of paperwork, only containing a picture frame that faced him. His office smelt of mint and was clean of any dust.

"Good Afternoon, Hiko." The man bellowed in a deep voice. "I expected you to come visit me after word of your arrival reached me. Please sit down." His voice was almost robotic, his movement stiff and steady.

"Good Afternoon Clan Head..."

"Iatsu, now please sit down."

Hiko sat down on an armchair that looked far too expensive for him to be sitting on but he did so nonetheless.

"So, why are you here, Hiko." Iatsu bore into Hiko's eyes.

"I'm here to tell you we need assistance to stop the Red Lotus." Iatsu's face had virtually no reaction to this so Hiko continued. "I think we have to get help from the Fire Lord." At this, Iatsu leaned back on his chair, his hands up to his lips.

"You see Hiko, it's not that easy. Our whole 'conflict' with the Red Lotus isn't known to anyone else outside the clan, especially the Fire Lord."

"But why? I mean, sure you have enough rescources but, it would be so much easier if we had support from the government. And we wouldn't have to sacrifice the lives of our own people for this."

"Sacrifice is necessary for change."

Hiko knew there was no changing this guy's mind.

"Well, what can I do to help?" Hiko asked, straightening his back.

"I'd be happy to have Yuan's son in my task force. But be warned, these missions are dangerous and you'll be closer to the enemy than anyone else, many men have died from this."

"Oh, I know." Hiko stood up, glaring at Iatsu.

"Thank you for having me Clan head Iatsu." Hiko bowed down and left the room with a mix of disappointment and anger.

Why would Iatsu deny help from the Fire Lor? Why would he sacrifice his own people needlessly if it can easily be over with the help of the Fire Nation's help? It all clouded Hiko's mind and he needed it to

"You haven't touched your food, you have to eat." Jianjun pushed Hiko's plate closer to him.

Hiko sighed. "I thought I'd be making a change in the clan as soon as I got here, but so far all I've done is jeapordize your training and make Junko angry at me."

"You can't make a change instantly, it requires time above all things."

"Well, Iatsu thinks it requires 'sacrifice' above all things." Hiko had already told Jianjun everything that happened and he expected him to be mad but so far he hasn't shown any signs of anger if there was any.

"Look, I've been to the Village Library and I found a parchment containing some important laws regarding the leadership of the clan. It said, the previous Clan head if not able to fulfill his duty as a Clan head will pass his title to his first-born son." Hiko looked up his plate for the first time in 20 minutes.

"What?! Wait doesn't that apply to you as well?"

"No, it has to be the son of a woman he married."

Hiko's eyes widened, he was gonna become the Clan Head. Reading Hiko's face, Jianjun continued.

"Don't get your hopes up yet. It also said you had to be of legal age which is 16." Hiko fell back again on his chair and continued staring at his plate. "Hey, in those 3 years, you'll still be able to make a change as part of the task force, and once you're Clan head, you can change everything for the better." This made Hiko cheer up a little bit. He had finally started eating his salmon which was now cold.