Chapter 5

A few months later…

The last few months have passed by rather quickly and in that time Demi has been flying back in forth I think the longest time she has even been here has been a week which sucks but even with the frequent absence of Demi, I still have managed to bond a lot with everyone. It currently is a week before both Demi and I’s birthday, yeah are birthdays are six days apart. And since I’m turning sixteen and both Maddie and I couldn’t go on the giant birthday trip Demi planned to Africa considering school starts for the both of us soon too, Dianna and Eddie have enlisted me with the biggest trust ever of taking care of Maddie and the house while they are away.

“Izzy can you come down here please” I heard Dianna’s voice echo through the house. I made my way down to the living room where I was greeted with a bunch of people.

“Izzy!” I head a familiar voice chime from the kitchen, it was Demi.

“Demi why are you here”

“Well hello to you too” she responded while embracing me in a hug.

“It’s just I haven’t talked or seen you in nearly 2 weeks”

“It’s called work hun”

“Of course” I answered annoyed before taking my seat on the couch next to Maddie.

“Okay so Izzy as you know tomorrow morning we are leaving for Africa and you’re in charge.”

“Woohoo party!” Maddie shouted taking away her attention from her phone.

“Absolutely not!” Eddie spoke.

“I promise I will be responsible and make sure both Maddie and I go to school on the first day” I re assured them.

“I still can’t believe you’re considered a senior” Maddie added.

“Wait but aren’t you fifteen, shouldn’t you be going into like grade 11 or something” Demi butted in.

“Yeah but she is like a freaking genius” Maddie continued to brag about me causing me to smile.

“I managed to do two years’ worth of credits when I was doing online school”

“So anyways, Izzy Maddie you know the rules and we will be back in a week” Both Eddie and Diana added before leaving Maddie, Demi, and I alone in the living room.

“Sucks you girls aren’t going to be coming”

“Yeah well you could have picked a better time Demi” Maddie said

“You know I didn’t have a say in the timing of the trip”

“It’s cool don’t worry”

“Hey Izzy are you okay, considering we aren’t going to be here to celebrate on your actual birthday” Demi asked. And to be honest I was upset but not having family around to celebrate my birthday was something I was used to and even though Maddie would be here I already had a plan for the weekend.

“Yeah its fine. I mean I wouldn’t pass up Africa if someone offered it to me either” I added before getting up and going to my room.

The weekend passed quickly and before I knew it was Monday morning and Maddie and I were getting ready for our first day of school. I thought I would be dreading today but surprisingly I wasn’t over the summer I had meet a girl, Jackie, who I would always run into on my morning runs at the park and we have gotten pretty close. So I guess knowing I had Jackie by my side made things easier.

“Come on Maddie you’re going to be late” I yelled as I waited at the door for Maddie to come downstairs.

“I’m coming I’m coming” Maddie said as she made her way.