Chapter 17: Y/N

Alright! As I promised, the rushed part of the story is over and it's time to keep this going and put the chapters and character development back. I want to thank you all for sticking with me, and I'm glad I can really get back into my Rhythm. Now! I discussed it partly in the last chapter, but this chapter is going to be for me to really solidify the way Y/N, a broken survivor, is written in this story. And I'm excited, because this is all gonna be from my head.

I just want to really thank you all, because this is just amazing. Over 7k reads so far, and so many comments that genuinely improve my day! This is just amazing, when I first started this project I didn't know what kind of response I would get. Now we're here, and I'm so thankful. To show that, here's my longest chapter yet over our favorite character, Y/N! Enjoy!

2 Years Ago

Y/N took in a deep breath as he opened his eyes, the first thing entering his mind being confusion. He shifted around quietly, sitting up and rolling his right sleeve up to his shoulder. There, on his bicep, was a bite that was still not fully healed. There were cysts and nasty looking scarring around it. "I thought... it only took a couple of days?" He muttered to himself, looking confused. Today, he would've been bitten for 56 hours.

He stood up slowly, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. His gear was scattered around, but he bent down and picked up his personal combat knife. He didn't expect to be alive still, he had to find Jen. Maybe she knew what was going on. Y/N opened up the door that blocked him in the room he was staying in. They were still in this house they were bit in, barricading themselves in. If they had any bullets left, they would've shot themselves. Jen stayed outside, and she told Y/N to stay in a room. In case she turned first, Jen didn't want to kill him.

"Jen?" He called out into the house. He didn't know what he was expecting, but for the first time in a while, his heart was beating in his chest faster than ever. He was worried about Jen, scared about what he would find. Y/N heard some noise, and moved a little quietly through the house. He knew something was wrong, he didn't even feel the slightest sick. His only hindrance was a little dehydration right now.

He heard something getting thrown around, and he moved quietly towards the crash military truck. Y/N took in a breath, opening the door into the room. He was met with Jen facing away from him, seeming to breath heavy as she was just staring at truck. "Jen- you're not gonna believe this! Look, I'm not even sick!" Y/N said, letting his guard down as he cheered about it. Jen's head perked up, he body swiveling around quickly to meet the boy. Y/N stopped dead in his tracks when he was met face to face with Jen.

Her eyes seemed completely dim, void of all life. Her skin was paled and veins were showing as she stared into Y/N's eyes. What Y/N feared, were the small pieces of fungus growing out of her face. "Jen?" Y/N asked, trying to hold onto some hope that she was alright. But then she screeched loudly, and came barreling towards Y/N. He backpedaled quickly, surprised and fear in his face for a moment as he almost tripped over his feet.

Y/N watched as Jen got closer, until he realized he was out of the room. He grabbed the door, forcing it shut and leaning against it as Jen slammed herself into the door repeatedly. Y/N was breathing heavy, despite the fact he didn't do anything except close a door. He couldn't believe this, it was flashing before his eyes. Jen was infected... Jen was gone... he was still here.

Y/N panted until he didn't feel any force on the door, and came tumbling off it, landing on his knees. He didn't know what was going through his head. He thought since he was alright, that Jen would be to. He couldn't, his mind refused to process the fact that the person he thought as his mother was gone. He couldn't even bring himself to stand as grief wracked his body, tears were falling down. At one point he threw up something, he didn't even know he had food in his stomach.