Chapter 22: Gone Hunting

We're getting close to the end guys, can you believe it? Man, this has been one hell of a journey. With only a couple more chapters left, I'm not all too sure how to feel. I'll probably give some big ol speech at the end about how fun and amazing this story was with all of you. Anyways, I wanted to give y'all a heads up that we're nearing the finale, and I wanted to ask y'all if I've done good with this. At some parts I feel like there was so much more I could've done, or maybe I wrote a character different from how they would act. Please let me know, it means the world to me.

Also! This book is getting popular! Man this is just amazing, I love seeing the newcomers come in, interacting with old comments and what not. This is amazing, and I want y'all to know that this story wouldn't be possible without any of you. I wouldn't have the motivation to keep going without all these reads. Now, I'll stop repeating myself and I'll get going with the story.

He was a little surprised to hear some shuffling, then suddenly felt some weight on his chest. The two were back in the same position they had been earlier, with Ellie leaning up against him with her head against his chest. "Why are you doing this, Y/N?" She asked softly. "You're going through all of this, you'll just get yourself killed." She carried on, and he shook his head a bit. "Because I care about you, Ellie, more than you can imagine. Now get some sleep, we'll get Joel out of here when you get up. Don't worry, I'll keep watch." He said, and Ellie didn't take very long to close her eyes, cuddling up to Y/N as much as she could. "Thank you." She spoke, before she ended up falling asleep.

Chapter 22

The string was drawn back quietly as she kept her breath in check, her arm twitching at the strain she was putting on it. For a moment, she focused on her target, taking a breath, before letting the arrow fly into the rabbit that had been hopping about. There was a whistle from behind her as Y/N hopped down from the rock, which had served as a vantage point. "Hell of a shot, you weren't kidding." He said, holding his hand up as Ellie gave him a high five. Ellie made her way over, lifting the rabbit up and removing the arrow from its body. "Too bad that won't last very long." Y/N said out loud, sighing softly.

"Y/N, look!" Ellie whisper-shouted, hitting his shoulder to turn him around. The boy, who had been facing the horse, turned to see a deer looking at him, before turning and sprinting off. "Oh hell yeah." He said quietly, before pulling his own bow around. "Watch and learn." He said, giving a small smile to Ellie as he headed out. Ellie stayed pretty close behind, but at a good distant away with Callus to avoid startling the deer again. Y/N crouched down low, trailing the tracks through he snow quietly. A distance away, he could see the animal peacefully grazing on some exposed grass. Y/N stopped dead in his tracks, keeping his breathing quiet and steady.

He pulled the string back, not really having a whole lot of experience with a bow, but he could make do. He tilted the bow up, his eyes narrowing as he seemed to be trying to calculate the distance, then he let the arrow fly. The deer made a cry out as the arrow went through the base of its neck, before it ran off. "Damn!" Y/N said out loud, and Ellie laughed from nearby. "What and learn, huh?" She asked, obviously mocking her friend. "Whatever." Y/N huffed, shaking his head as he stood up. "Come on, there's no way that thing got far." Ellie said, going ahead as she tied Callus up to a tree.

Y/N stood up, jogging lightly after Ellie to match her pace as the duo followed the blood trail. "How long do you think a deer will last us?" Ellie asked, looking over at the other teenager. "I'll give us a week, if that. Also, it's your turn to force feed Joel." Y/N stated, and got a groan of protest in response. "Bullshit, why can't you just do it, for me?" Ellie asked, trying to put on a cute face to take advantage of Y/N. "Not working this time, I've been doing this for the past week and half." He proclaimed, trying desperately not to look over.