47. Falling Reign

Media above is the song 'Gloria Regali' by Tommee Profitt. Play it on repeat throughout the chapter if you can, it really sets the atmosphere.

I apologize for the (very) late update, but my wifi is down, which is in the way of my writing and my studies, too.

Enjoy!

FALLING REIGN

The world was so terribly silent

So terribly still.

And it was Death prowling through the city, gliding over the red-washed capital, the emptiness and terror filling the air.

There was not a sound—not a breath—too loud as I soared above the sea, the setting sun swallowing the horizon, not a thing out of place.

A city of terror.
A night of horror.

Even the monsters lurking in their waters were calm, out of their usual paths, silent and unnoticed as they swam, feeding off the festering fear reeking out of the locked houses, of those hidden between their walls.

There was not a living being out—not even whispers carried by the winds. Only silence and fear.

I flew past the Beheaded, past the gnarling spot stained with blood that not even weeks of rain had been able to wash away. Blood—so much of it.

Mealin had been tortured there, shredded and dumped in and out of the salty waters by Rhiannon; Rhiannon who had taken her time with every lash, every beg, every scream of pain. Rhiannon who had repaid her father for all of it—for her mother. For her brother, who had been chained and tortured until he clawed at the threshold of life three years ago. For herself.

And then, Leon let all he'd locked within himself out.

Mealin's screams were heard far past the Wall shielding Evanor. All the way to the Sombers.

His head was still on the spike above the castle's gates. With Weyar Ohad's. Their bodies were dumped in the sea, along Yenes, along the remaining two other guards at their majesties' immediate service, along my very own spies.

The ones that had been here far before I arrived, the ones Téors had spoken about. Five men who had battled and bled together, five men who had decided to go down together when three of them were sentenced to death.

Dearcious had been butchering every single person for as much as breathing the wrong way, the Sombers filled with blood like never before.