36.

Queen Ravenna sat on her throne. Her face turned away from the arguing nobility in front of her. Looking through her window, her thoughts drifted to her son who was missing. She hoped that he had not run away- but the alternative wasn't better. 

She felt someone grasp her hands. When she looked, Amara was kneeling in front of her with the best smile she could muster. 'We're going to find him,' the younger woman whispered. Those words were meant to assure the Queen but it caused her heart to race faster as doubt and anxiety kicked in but she managed to squeeze her hand, thanking her for her support. 

She glanced over Amara's head to see the nobles quarrelling over what could've happened to the Prince and how to approach the tricky situation. 

Suddenly, the double doors opened to reveal a warrior who bowed and strode into the room only to whisper something in the King's ear. Her husband nodded and the warrior left the hall. 

Something was terribly wrong, she concluded once she noticed the dejected look on his face. 

If it weren't for her discipline, she would've fallen on her knees and cried her heart out. She would've screamed for her child till her voice gave away. 

Unfortunately, she couldn't let her husband carry the weight of the Kingdom alone. 

She had to be prepared with the possibility that they would have to choose an heir. 

She observed him, as he strode toward his throne that was placed next to hers. He patted Amara's shoulders and took his seat. 

The young woman moved to stand beside her. 

A man was escorted inside by two warriors on either side. 

His presence cloaked the noisy hall with silence- it was the effect of the crest that he wore over the thick and dirty clothing. It had been years since someone with that crest had walked into the Dithrai hall. The casual demeanour of the man didn't go unnoticed by the nobles. It caused them to uncomfortably shift in their seats. 

Queen Revanna had half a mind to grip his throat and pull it out. By the looks of her husband, she knew he was thinking the same. 

'The Demon King sends his regards,' the messenger spoke. An understanding smile plastered on his face but the look in his eyes sent a different message. 

'To what do we owe the pleasure?' King Samuel leaned back on his throne, trying to hide the worry lines on his face. The Queen did the same. 

The messenger grinned like he knew what they were upto. He held out the scroll to a warrior who opened it and checked it for any concealed weapons. Having found none, he handed the scroll to the King. 

Amara knew better than to take a peek at the contents of the scroll. From where she stood, she could not see the royal couple's expression but she could see the smug look on the messenger's face. It ignited a fury within which she found hard to contain. 

'Take him outside,' he ordered the warriors who complied. When the door shut, the King's voice bellowed in the hall, 'What kind of sick joke is this!' 

The rage in his voice shook the hall. His body was quivering. 

Amara noticed that his ears were red and his hands were drawn into fists. 

With trembling hands, the Queen reached for it and read it. Amara did the same. 

Her heart thumped against her chest, booming in her head. She tried very hard to contain her anger. 

The Demon King claimed he had her Damien. 

'What is it, Your Highness?' Jeremiah asked.