21. Michael Phelps Better Watch Out

"Morning is here.
 The day is new.
 Perhaps,
 this is where

 the light

 breaks through."

~Morgan Harper Nichols

Scarlett Ambrose stretched gloriously, like those cats that you see on a particularly lazy Sunday, and rolled over in bed

Scarlett Ambrose stretched gloriously, like those cats that you see on a particularly lazy Sunday, and rolled over in bed. Her eyes still closed, she sighed happily to herself. She felt like she hadn't a care in the world.

She squeezed her pillow to her chest and realized that there was something wrong.

Scarlett usually never woke up feeling peaceful. She usually woke up in a flash, like she had been electrocuted and tended to bound out of bed.

Her eyes fluttered open and she realized that her surroundings were familiar.

Slowly, the events of the previous night began to trickle into her memory.

She sat on bed and looked around.

Ace's bedroom sprawled all around her, his belongings surrounded her, his scent infiltrating her nostrils, filling her with the thoughts and smells of him.

Scarlett's heart began to flutter in her chest when she realized that she had fallen asleep smack dab in the middle of her boss' bed and instead of bothering to move her or wake her up, he had let her take over his room and his bed.

There wasn't a sign of him and the whole house was silent.

Outside, the sun was just rising in the distance, showing itself in all its glory behind the high-rises that dwelt far away.

Then, Scarlett realized that she had slept for longer that she usually did. She tended to wake before the sun showed itself in full on the horizon.

She rolled herself off of Ace's extremely comfortable bed and pulled the blankets, making it up before she stepped out on to the landing. The house was still; there was no indication of where Ace could have been.

Scarlett stepped down a few stairs and peered into the TV room. The remnants of the previous night's dinner had been cleared and the room was as tidy as it usually was. Ace had to have cleared up after she fell asleep. She tiptoed back up and pushed open the first guest room door.

The room was empty.

Quietly, she opened the door to the second guest room that sat before her own.

The room was dark and quiet, but Scarlett could make him out.

Ace Hardwood's bare back was turned to her, exposing his tanned skin, as he slept almost on his stomach, soundly. As the room was dark, she couldn't make him out clearly, but the lack of a shirt highlighted the muscles in his back. The arm that was draped across a pillow was bent in such a way that highlighted the strong muscles in his arms.