#24 Isn't that Liam over there?

"Could you hand me the garlic bread bowl please Olivia?" 

"Sure dad." 

I smiled to myself as I looked around the dining room table at my parents, mom had made my favorite - spaghetti bolognese with a mountain of cheese on top. It was lovely to have a homemade meal, sat at the table like a normal family. Mom dressed in sweatpants paired with a tank top and messy bun instead of her usual business attire. Her face was makeup free but she was still naturally stunning. Dad wearing pajamas and slippers while he stuffed his face with moms delicious cooking. This is what it feels like to be completely content. 

"So Olivia, how is school?"

 Mom asked me casually, I noted that dad perked his ears up at the mention of school. In that moment my mind skimmed over everything that happened in school yesterday with Liam. Today I didn't see him, he skipped. I ran into the jocks who didn't say anything to me, I don't just mean about Liam, I mean anything. They didn't tease me, they didn't call me names, they completely ignored me. It's a first and a welcome change but I'm not allowing myself to get used to it.

I decided to steer clear of any 'boy talk.' 

"It's good, I'm maintaining all my grades. I struggle a little with math but I've been studying real hard and I think I'm going to ace the pop quiz on Friday."

"As long as you try your best pumpkin." My dad chirped up satisfied with my answer.

"yeah." I replied.

Mom shot me a small smile "hows Tia?"

"She's good, keeps telling me how good your blueberry pancakes are. She's actually going across state with the schools soccer team and cheerleaders. They have a tournament against different schools and because she's head of school council shes going with them to help with team management things and the equipment."

I piled a forkful of spaghetti into my mouth.

"Oh that sounds wonderful, I'm assuming she'll get extra credit and it will look worthy on her college applications. You should look into getting involved with something like that Olivia." 

Gulp.

"It's not my thing dad but she did invite me along. Principal Jenkins said she can rope another student in to help, she asked me but I said no. She'll be gone all next week, well Monday to Friday. I've just got you guys home after almost a month, you're only here for three weeks and I don't want to waste that time at some dumb sports week long event."

The temperature of the room dropped by a few degrees as mom and dad secretly shot each other knowing glances, guilt filling up in their faces. My heart sagged slightly because I've become accustomed to that look and knew exactly what it meant.

"Olivia, hunny we got a phone call today from our boss. Something came up in a case we're working on and it's time sensitive. They would like us back in work on Monday instead, it's a big breakthrough and we couldn't pass up this opportunity so we said yes."