ASFrags- Bad Day

Jerome's P.O.V.

I suppose Preston and I had always been the odd ones out. Friends to our more successful counterparts, especially in the beginning when Rob was finding much more success than he was, drifting into different areas with at often times vastly different audiences. In the early days of the Pack we were very close, even closer than Vikk and Lachlan I think, because we understood what the other was going through. It hurt at times to know our friends were doing better than us.

We were on the second annual ski trip when everything happened. Everyone except Preston and Rob were up, hanging out in the kitchen with a second or third cup of coffee clutched in our hands, chattering away about the long day ahead. It surprised me that Rob wasn't up given that he was the most excited about the trip with his history in snowboarding and glee at being able to run us over on each and every slope. None of us were terrible per se but apart from Rob, and maybe Mitch, we weren't great either.

"When are the others gonna get up?" Lachlan mumbled, rubbing his eyes. "I thought we said yesterday we wanted to be away before ten."

I glanced at the clock- it was already half past 9. Yeah, not gonna happen.

"I'll go see-" Mitch began, before stopping. There were footsteps coming down the steps. "Never mind, someone's up."

As it turned out it was Rob, who stalked into the room with a scowl on his face and steam practically coming out of his ears. He made a beeline for the jug and set about making a cup of coffee, grumbling under his breath.

"What's up?" Vikk asked brightly.

"Preston, that's what's up." He groaned, rolling his eyes. "I don't know what's with his attitude this morning but he's refusing to get up, even though I know he's not sick."

I raised an eyebrow at that- that didn't sound like Preston. I immediately suspected there was something more going on because he was never in a bad mood without a reason- if Rob didn't think he was sick he probably wasn't, but there was definitely something else going on.

"I'll go and see what's up." I said, leaving my coffee behind. "I'll see if I can talk him and get him to come with us. There's probably something he's not telling you, Rob."

"Thanks Jerome." Rob sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I'm tired, I can't be bothered to deal with a stubborn bastard this morning."

I couldn't help but laugh at that as I turned and headed up the stairs. I gently knocked on the door of Rob and Preston's shared room, pausing, but receiving no reply. I knocked again because I knew Preston was in there but for some reason he wasn't acknowledging my existence.

"Preston? Come on man, I'm just gonna waltz on in if you don't reply." I called, frowning when I once again heard nothing. "...Preston?"

Pushing open the door I really wasn't sure what I expected to see. Preston was on his bed, curled up under the covers tightly, buried completely to the point he was just a lump on the mattress. Okay, yeah, something was probably wrong.

"Preston?" I asked gently, stepping across his and Rob's luggage on the floor to sit down on the bed beside him. He didn't even acknowledge me, just squirmed a little under the blanket and let out what I thought was a grunt. "Hey, what's goin' on? This isn't like you, what's on your mind?"

"I don't want to do anything today." He mumbled from under the blankets. "I just want to be left alone."

"What's going on in that head of yours Preston?" I said gently. "This isn't like you. There's something more going on, isn't there?"

That was when he finally poked his head out from underneath the blankets, eyes rimmed red and hair an absolutely mess. My heart immediately sank and I reached down to hug him, smiling a little as he buried his head into my chest and went limp against me. So maybe he wasn't being truthful about wanting to be alone, but I would fulfill this silent request to stay and be a cuddle buddy.

There was quiet for about half an hour after I shifted into a better position so I could lean against the headboard, Preston still lying with his head in my lap. He wasn't sleeping but it was close, eyes drifting open and shut and low sighs emitted from his mouth every time I ran a hand through his hair.

When the clock reached ten I knew I had to go downstairs and tell the others that neither of us would be going skiing that day. Preston needed sleep and some time to get over whatever was going on in his head which he still hadn't explained to me, but I figured it was just a bad day. He needed some comfort, and I could do that.

Everyone still in the kitchen, not dressed and nowhere near ready to go, and they all looked up when I came in.

"Preston's just having a bad day, neither of us are going to go skiing today. I'll stay with him if you guys want to go." The others nodded and Rob looked a little sheepish, staring at the ground.

"Can you tell him I'm sorry?" He mumbled. "I might have been a bit harsh. I was just tired." I gave him a smile.

"Of course." I said. "I think he's just tired too."

Back upstairs, Preston whined and worked his arms out from under the blanket to reach out for me, making grabby hands as I laughed. I crawled back onto the bed and he immediately secured his arms around my waist, essentially immobilizing me there- not that I was complaining. I loved him when he was a cuddle bug, and the happy feeling in my heart made me want to fly.

He fell asleep against me not long afterwards, and I kept running my hand through his hair. I watched him with a tilted head and a smile on my face. If this was what it was like for Preston to have a bad day, I wouldn't mind it happening again if I got a cuddly boy curled up in my lap.

"Love you Preston." I breathed, knowing he couldn't hear me. "I hope you'll feel okay later."