Chapter 6

"Wow Muna, she IS hot"

I stared down at the picture of Miss Rose on my phone screen. Hot? An understatement.

"How didn't you even know she was your CEO before your first freaking day?" Amanda asked as she turned the corner.

We were in her Volvo on our way to a party that Amanda had convinced me that I needed. I still wasn't entirely convinced, but she said I needed to reunite myself with College life before I headed back to California. I had agreed because as much as I hated to admit it; she had a point. I did little to no going out in California. This was due to the fact that I was usually always exhausted after work. And also the fact that I didn't really have any friends back there.

I leaned my head against the car seat as the wind from outside attacked my face, "she likes to be pretty private I guess. There are hardly any pictures of her online."

"I mean, fair enough, being the CEO of a company that big?" Amanda said, taking her eyes off from the road temporarily to look at me, "whew, otherwise she'd literally be mobbed everywhere she goes. Especially being THAT hot!"

"Okay Amanda, we get it!" I said laughing crazily, to which Amanda threw both hands up in defeat, I responded by yelling at her to get her hands back on the steering wheel.

I looked out of the window, taking in the familiar scenery before me. This was in the neighborhood I had grown up in, and I knew the street where I lived was up ahead. My throat seemed to close up once I caught sight of my old house. It still looked exactly the same as it had been when my family was there, except the red paint had now been changed to a dull grey color. I stared at it a little longer, wondering what type of family lived there now. I wondered if they were happy.

"You okay?" Amanda asked as she took a quick glance at me.

I nodded my head, not trusting my voice, and we drove in silence for a few more seconds. Amanda was the only other person that knew the history I had in that house, some of my very worst memories had been formed there.

"How far are these this party, anyway?" I asked, changing the subject, "we've been driving forever."

Amanda shook her head laughing, "twenty minutes is not forever Muna, and besides...here we are."

I looked up as Amanda turned a corner and we arrived on a narrow street; turning another corner, we were parked right outside a simple-looking house. I could already hear the music blaring on the speakers from outside. Once again, excitement and anxiety began to bubble inside me.

"Don't worry about anything right now," Amanda said, turning and smiling at me, "tonight is going to be fun, we're paying tribute to the old times."

She was right. It felt like the old times; I felt like I was back in College as the music pounded against the walls. The front door of the house was open and Amanda and I walked right in. We immediately found ourselves in a dark room,

which was packed with a significant amount of people. There were string lights sprung up haphazardly at the corner of the room in the name of 'decorations'. People were yelling over the music, people were dancing, some people had already begun making out against the walls. The party was in full swing.

Amanda was pulling on my arm as we made our way through the mass of sweaty bodies and the stench of alcohol before reaching the bar.

Amanda shouted out orders at the bartender whilst I just sat back and watched the party unfolding before me. I smiled, trying to take it all in. This was the last bit of 'party' I was going to experience in a while, not whilst working under Miss Rose, that is. Speaking of Miss Rose... I remembered I was going to have to share a cabin with her the following week, and I instantly felt my heart race quicken..