35

"Tony, no!"

My plea goes unheard as Tony Stark blasts Steve Rogers, sending him flying backwards. Within seconds, he's whipped around and set his weapons on Bucky. The soldier snaps his gun to attention, but I see Tony shooting from his palm before Bucky does. I shove him backwards and take the force of the blast myself. The shot sends me spiraling back and slams me into the floor.

"Dawn!" Bucky calls out, before charging Tony. I ignore the fight raging on before me and groan, rolling over on my back. I forget the pain and shove myself to my feet.

I have to stop them from tearing apart.

Just as I'm about to jump in the middle of the fight and work to mediate it, the fake psychiatrist's voice booms out to me.

"The moment I learned you were involved with the Avengers I knew my plan was in jeopardy. You seem to have a way of getting people to reconcile" he calls out. I freeze, turning towards the metal wall where the man hides. He's smirking at me.

"I knew that if you were to get involved in this fight, you'd find a way to stop it," he continues, and I take hesitant steps forward, "Which is why I must stop you"

"Unluckily for you, I don't stop easy" I call back before turning to jog back up to the trio who fight furiously. Just as I'm about to jog away and not waste another second speaking with this man, he utters one phrase that makes my feet immobile.

"Even when it means the death of your brother?"

My blood runs cold as his words echo through my mind.

"Dean went missing a few days ago, correct?" He questions coldly. I turn slowly to face the man, my heart thundering in my chest.

"What did you do?" I breathe, so quiet that I'm afraid he didn't hear me.

"HYDRA will be here any minute now. They're willing to make a trade," he responds, my pulse spiking at the mention of the dreaded organization, "They'll release your brother and spare his life if they are given their property back,"

I'm rendered speechless in dread, my lead tongue allowing the cruel man before me to continue speaking.

"If they are given their Viper"

In that moment, I feel my heart shatter. Not because I'm at a loss for what to do, but because I know that I have no other choice. My mind was made up the moment the words passed that horrid man's lips.

I'm going back.

•••••

I don't know when I collapsed to the floor, but it feels as though I've been crouched in this corner for an eternity.

I'm going back.

The thought paralyzes me and keeps my mind from functioning. My eyes are wide, my breaths shallow. All I can think about is that wretched doctor, how he's going to win. After everything I've done to keep the demons of my past away, Bucky was wrong.

They've all come back.

In one instant, that fake psychiatrist reverted me back into a terrified, abused sixteen year old girl who's just realized how alone she is. I feel as though I'm trapped in a mind-numbing trance, one filled with traumatizing thoughts that keep my mind from moving forward. It's only when I hear the loud clang of a body slamming against the floor from what sounded to be a large drop that my mind begins to work again.

I jerk my head to the side, my blonde hair whipping with the quick motion. My eyes land upon Steve, who moves slowly and painfully from his position on the ground. I drag my eyes up to see Bucky laying on the metal grate a few feet away from me. It's then that I realize the trio has gravitated dangerously close to the area of the room marked by a row of wide slots leading to a steep cliff drop into the snowy climate.  My attention snaps back to Steve as Tony faces him.