Chapter Thirty

I fiddled with the clasp on my necklace, trying to get up off of Clarence's lap, where Madeline had thrown me.

"Sorry," I mumbled, hoping he hadn't noticed my racing heart. "I don't know what she was thinking."

He patted the couch next to him. "She was thinking we're dating, and she was right." He winked at me, but his smile faltered, like he was worried I might give the whole thing away.

"I guess that's a good reason so sit on someone's lap, but I'm still not used to these dresses, so maybe the couch is a better spot." I didn't risk turning around to see if Madeline had heard me, instead choosing to sit myself down on the couch.

I had carefully positioned myself so I was very close to but not touching Clarence, ready for a night of fun. Or as much fun as you can have when you're lying about being in a relationship. Nothing's ever going to be easy around here, is it?

"Yes!" Madeline thrust her fist into the air, breaking me out of my thoughts. "It's up and it's working. Who's going first?"

Clarence held up his hand, probably about to remind her of the conditions he agreed to, when Janet jumped in and grabbed the microphone. "I am ready for my Cindy Lauper as long as my girls will join me."

Janet was looking at me and pointing. Where had this partying Janet come from?

"Me?" I pointed to myself. "I don't want to sing."

Madeline ran around the coffee table and grabbed my hand, pouting. "But you promised," she whined.

"She's got a point there," Clarence teased, smiling.

I groaned and followed her to the microphone as the opening notes of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" started playing.

Madeline and Janet literally let their hair down -- a task that was impossible for me, even on a good day -- and we all jumped around to the beat, singing very off key as the lyrics lit up different colours on the screen. I have to admit, it's pretty fun.

I was so into the song that when the last lines came across the screen, I whipped my head around and danced my way towards Clarence, trying my best to make exaggerated faces that would make him laugh. It was only as I sang the last "girls just wanna have fun" that I realized what I was implying with that action. I felt the heat rise into my cheeks and instantly turned to face the television, hoping no one had seen. But it was no use, Janet and Madeline were staring straight at me. Madeline even started making a whooping noise like she was at a bullfight.

"Enough, Madeline," Clarence's voice came out clear and loud, quieting the whole room.

A moment of silence passed until Madeline broke the ice again. "Clarence, I believe it's your turn."

* * *

We laughed and sang all evening, but I couldn't really get into it. All I could think of was making sure Madeline thought I was dating Clarence and making sure Clarence didn't get the wrong impression. By the time we agreed to end Karaoke, I was practically asleep on my feet.

"Janet," I yawned, "I think it's time for me to get to bed. I'm sorry to leave early, but I'm just exhausted and I'm sure I have seven things scheduled for tomorrow."

"I think it's only five." Janet was never far from her work hat, it seemed. "Oh, sorry," she winced when she saw my face. "It's fine, go. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you." I hugged her. "Goodnight everyone." I curtseyed and made to leave the room, shoulders tense from the added pressure of Princess Madeline's presence. I liked her, but it was hard to pretend in front of her.

I was surprised to find the door didn't close behind me. I'm sure I pulled it hard enough. I turned around to pull it closed properly and found myself crashing into Clarence.

I stumbled backwards a few steps. "Sorry," I muttered. "I didn't expect to see you there."

"I-" he hesitated and rubbed his hand over his hair. "I just wanted to make sure you found your room okay."

"Oh." I smiled and looked around. Seeing no one, I answered him honestly.

"Thanks for the optics," I whispered. "But I know where my room is from here. I'm getting the hang of which statue is which."

He slid his hand across my shoulder and down my arm until he held my hand in his. "Well, then I guess this is goodnight," his voice seemed deeper now, and he spoke quietly.

I swallowed the lump growing in my throat as I inadvertently stepped towards him, with my heart beating in my ears. "I guess so," I said, fiddling with a button on his sleeve.

I looked up into his fierce, intense gaze inching ever closer to me. I could feel his warm breath on my lips as I pushed up onto my toes to reach him. I was sliding my hand up towards his neck when I heard a clang at the end of the hall.

Bursting back from Clarence, I smoothed my dress and looked toward the source of the noise. I couldn't see anything in the dimly lit hallway. At least that means they probably can't see us either.

"It's probably just a guard," Clarence said, stepping across the hallway to stand in front of me. "You have nothing to worry about."

My brain worked overtime trying to figure out the right move. A shiver ran across my back and I tried to steady myself. Where do I go from here?

Fortunately, Clarence took the lead, once again taking my hand in his. "Until tomorrow," he said, lifting my hand to kiss the back of it, and letting his lips linger more than he had at dinner. When he looked up at me, lips still pressed to the back of my right hand, I struggled to resist the urge to bite my lip. My stomach was doing backflips and my lungs had stopped working properly.

I should pull my hand away now. Why aren't I pulling my hand away?

"Sleep well, my darling." He kissed my hand again and gently released me from his gentle grasp. Before I could even get a whole breath in he spun around and slid through the door of Janet's suite. I could still feel the warmth of his hand where he'd held mine as I turned on my heel and walked down the hallway, ready to face the maze of the castle to get back to my room.

Because, if I was honest, I had no idea where my room was.

My whole body still felt warm and tingly when I finally found my room, though at that point I could no longer be sure if it was Clarence's almost-kiss that had done it or my anxiety over several wrong turns.

"Marinette?" I spoke into the darkness of my sitting room once the guards closed the doors behind me. "Marinette, I'm back."

When she didn't answer me, I felt my way along the wall until I found a knob I hoped would open the door to my bedroom. Pushing on the door, I easily slid it open and stepped inside. Everything seemed like it was in the right place for it to be my bedroom, but I still couldn't find the light.

After flailing around a bit in the dark, my hand finally found the switch. Pressing on it revealed my bed standing in the middle of the room, turned down with my pyjamas folded on top of the pillow. I was so ready to go to sleep, I didn't think about anything else. Sliding my dress off over my head, I got changed and slid under the soft warm covers, closing my eyes for what was sure to be a good night of sleep.