Chapter Twenty Seven

Shigure still sat at the dining table with his phone in front of him. Tohru had made lunch and they all sat together to eat and he had it in his mind that Amai would arrive at her destination by the time they finished eating.

But he didn't receive any calls. Not even any text messages. Yuki suggested that she was probably checking into the hotel and sorting things out and that she would call later on. However, it had been an hour since her scheduled arrival and it was just passed midday. Even the kids were getting anxious.

"Maybe you should call her," Tohru said as they all sat around the table. "If she's busy, she'll see your missed call and she can call back when she's free."
"Good idea," Shigure nodded.

The kids watched as he picked up his phone and clicked on her name 'Wifey ❤️'. Placing the phone to his ear, he listened to the ring. It rang for at least five seconds and after that Shigure's heartbeat sped up. With each ring he grew more anxious but he didn't let it show on his face, keeping a gentle smile across his lips so that the kids remained calm.

Finally, his heart relaxed and he breathed a sigh of relief as the call was answered. No one spoke, which he thought was odd, so he spoke first.

"Amai, you had me worried," he said, which made the kids breathe sighs of relief. "I was waiting for your call but I understand you must have been busy checking in once you arrived. I hope your journey went well. Are you okay?" He was met with silence but he knew someone was on the other side. "Hello? Amai? Is everything okay?"
"Shigure," came a man's voice. But it wasn't just any man.
"Hatori?" Shigure asked in complete confusion, his brows furrowing as his eyes narrowing a little. The kids looked at each other, all completely baffled. "Why have you got Amai's phone?"
Hatori sighed deeply. "You should come to the estate."

Shigure's heart panged in his chest. It was painful. Excruciating. He knew it wasn't a joke. He could hear it in Hatori's tone. This was serious and his heart was telling him something was wrong. He had felt it before but he kept hope that everything was fine.

"Shigure?" Hatori called.

The phone dropped from his hand and he quickly got to his feet. The kids looked up at him in worry and without saying anything, he ran out of the room. They knew something was wrong. Yuki got up and went to Shigure's phone before putting it to his ear.

"It's Yuki."
"Where is Shigure?" Hatori asked.
"He just ran out. Where is Miss Amai? Is she okay?"
Hatori closed her eyes. "It happened again. She doesn't know us anymore."

And then he hung up. Yuki lowered his head and switched off the phone. Kyo shot up to his feet.

"What happened?!"
"Her memories are gone..."
Tohru gasped, lifting her hands to her mouth as tears welled up in her eyes. "Oh no..."
"WHAT?!" Kyo growled angrily. "She was meant to be in Tokyo!!"
"I don't get it..." Yuki said quietly.

Out of anger, Kyo stormed out of the room, punching the door and breaking it in his wake before running upstairs with tears in his eyes. Yuki dropped to his knees and Tohru quickly rushed over to him.

"Yuki..." she called tearily.
"This doesn't make any sense..."

Tohru didn't know what to say or do. It seemed as though they had just gotten their lives back and it was suddenly gone again. It didn't seem real.

***

Shigure sped all the way to the Sohma estate. He saw Amai's car parked outside as he entered through the gates. He didn't even bother closing his car door as he ran towards Hatori's place. It was as if he was on autopilot mode, wanting to just get there. Part of him hoped that she was fine and it was all a cruel joke but he also knew that he was about to face his biggest fear.