Chapter Four

The shout startled me and I let out a squeak as I whirled around. A tall, thin figure stood in the doorway I'd just come through a few minutes before. It took me a moment to recognize him. "Leigh?"

"Miss Aida?" Leigh said, his tone confused as he stepped forward.

His dark hair had been gray for as long as I had known him. Though thin, he was, perhaps, not as fit as he once had been. Still, it was a relief to see him, and I felt safer to know he at least would do his best to protect me.

"Leigh, I was so concerned when I did not find you or Mrs. Leigh here," I said as I walked toward him. Had I been younger, I would have found it difficult to resist throwing my arms around him. "I should have realized you would not leave the house abandoned."

Leigh shook his head. "Since your parents' departure, I will admit things have become lax in the household. Missy requested the time to visit her mother, and Mrs. Leigh thought it would be a good idea."

"Of course it was!" I cast a glance around the hall. Nothing was out of place and every surface gleamed. "I trust you both have done what you can to keep the house going. I was just surprised no one was here when I arrived."

"Mrs. Leigh went to purchase supplies and walked to the village as it is a fine day. I was in the cellar and did not hear you enter." His brows furrowed together. "Miss Aida, were your parents expecting you? Did we miss a message or letter informing us of your arrival?"

"No. I was hoping I would find my parents here. How long have they been away?"

The butler heaved a sigh. "Just over a week, Miss. Mr. Norton went to London for a client. By nightfall, a messenger arrived with a note for Mrs. Norton. She left the house without a word and has not returned."

My heart skipped a beat as I listened to his words. It wasn't hard to guess at the sequence of events. My father had gone to London for a client. Maybe he had even been drawn to London for the purpose of being taken against his will. Then, the villains had brought the note for my mother, forcing her to go with them on the threat of harming Papa.

"Why?" I shook my head. "I don't understand why this is happening."

"Why have you returned home, Miss Aida?" Leigh asked, his forehead creasing in concern. "Are you in some sort of trouble?"

"There was an...incident, and I thought I would be safe here," I said evasively. "Did you go to the constable about my parents? Have they begun a search? Are they even concerned?"

I knew the answer I would get even as I asked the futile questions. Leigh shook his head. "Constable Doyle said a man has the right to go away on holiday without informing anyone. He says there has been no evidence of a crime."

The words to explain what had happened to me were on the tip of my tongue, but I kept myself in check. I knew Constable Doyle as well as I knew Constable Higgins. Neither would believe a word I said. They both considered me a child with a wild imagination and too much time for silly detective stories.

"Did Mum leave the note behind or take it with her?" I asked.

Leigh's eyebrows creased together. "I cannot recall, Miss."

"Well, I will be in the library." I began to turn on my heel but paused halfway. "If anyone should come looking for me, I'm not here. You haven't seen me since I went to school and don't know of any reason why I would be here."

"Miss Aida, what have you gotten yourself into?" Leigh's tone became resigned.

"I'm not the one who has gotten into trouble." I started up the staircase, ending the conversation. What had my parents been dragged into? Why would someone think a barrister and a former opera singer were a danger to them?