Chapter 27

Mateo's POV

Everything was back to normal. I was already sitting with the guys again. Jamal and I were bonding more these days and It was exciting. He spoke to me about taking therapy and we decided to do therapy sessions together. Everything was okay. Well, apart from the fact that I wasn't really speaking to Skye anymore.

I know, it seems so sudden and out of the blues but I had my reasons. Giving the fact that since we have become tight, I've not remained the same, all round. She made me feel something. Something I didn't have an explanation for. Something that was enough to set off an alarm in my head. An alarm that warned me about attachments. Now why that alarm kept going off in my head.

Jamal had unconsciously said something when he came by the last time that made me back track on my closeness with her. Something that hurt me deeply. This was the reason why I don't do feelings, why I make sure I don't fall for anyone. Elyon was just meant to be a fling but what I was felt around Skye was deeper, more intense and the deeper the feelings got, the more terrified I was. Now, the unexplainable feelings have been blown up in my face.

I guess they are useless now.

She noticed it. She noticed I wasn't excited to be around her anymore and she tried to talk to me. But I was too upset to even talk to her about it, too upset to act by my own words of not being a mind reader. At some point she stopped trying and that even hurt me more.

Urghh! You are such a confused fellow! Do you want her to be around you? Do you not want her to be around you? Pick a side! I I snapped at myself.

It was painful that she saw me the way she did see me, according to Jamal. I thought I was more than that to her, she made me feel like I was. Like I was so important. Or maybe I was just the one reading unnecessary deep meanings to her simple gestures and actions. Maybe Skye was just being her extra caring self and I was the one over thinking it.

Like always, I was spending more than half of my time in the music room. The Junior class music teacher had taken uncle Tega's place but he was barely around so I was still in charge of the keys. Exams were around the corner and to keep up my good grades, I needed to study. So, instead of library, the music room was my personal study hall. I would always lock the door when I'm in so that I won't be disturbed.

Because of the headphone I had on, jamming to some sick beats as I kept reading, I didn't hear anyone come in. Maybe because I thought I had locked the door. I felt someone watching me and I looked back to see Skye standing by the door. I almost fell off the seat in fear.

Run all you want, Mateo. She will always know how to find you.

"The fuck?! Skye, you scared me." I told her, trying to catch my breath and she shrugged. "I locked the door. How did you even get in here?" I asked her. She rose her index, twirling the keys around it, a ghost of a smile appearing on her lips for a split second

"Jamal has keys as well. I just stole it." She replied, stepping further into the room. If I wasn't so upset with her, I'd have nodded in respect. I removed my glasses and rubbed my eyes.

She's smart. I'd give her that.

"How did you know I was even here?"  I asked and she gave me a look that said are you this dumb.

"Well, you don't have that much hiding spots. If you are not in class, you are here." She stated and I shrugged. She was right.

"Touché." I muttered. "What are you doing here then? I'm busy." I said monotonously and went back to facing my book. I heard her scoff.