Chapter Twenty Four: Choices

Rainbow's POV.

(Flashback)

"Does it matter right now?" I groan and she glanced at me for a brief moment before returning her attention to the figuring she was polishing and I sigh deeply just to spite her, which worked because she glares at me while I smile cheekily before answering her question.

"Had it been years ago when I was young and naive desperately looking for them, I would've just contended with the fact that they came back for me and everything would've been forgiven." She paused again and gives me a complete once-over before asking another question.

"And now? what will you do?" Okay! I've tried not to engage in this game of twenty questions that can only work when she's the only one doing all the asking. But every time she regards me with those old wise eyes of hers that seem to know everything, I can't help but answer every single one of her questions.

"It would be good to have them back if they can somehow make up for seventeen years worth of bedtime stories and snuggles, unhealthy amounts of visits to the park, and let me eat all the sweets that would warrant a trip to the doctor's office. If they would make up for all the P.T.A meetings and school recitals they have missed. Don't forget birthdays and holiday campings. Hugs and kisses for each time I fall from riding my bike. Oh! don't forget art supplies too, and they can finally tell me which of them decided it was a good idea to have a mixed baby!" I exclaimed with sarcasm while trying to steady a figurine that has somehow managed to slide off its position.

Something flashed in her eyes briefly before she ask another question. "Do you ever think that maybe they didn't have a choice but to give you up?" She says with concern.

Of course, I have thought about that! I used to imagine an alternate reality where my parents were some star-crossed lovers in a forbidden romance that resulted in my birth, so they decided to give me up so that they could avoid war or even their deaths. And that, they would come back for me once they have settled everything and we would live happily ever after. But as I grew older I started seeing the world and the people living in it for what they really are. I realized nobody was ever coming back for me because if my parents really wanted me, they would've thought of a better environment to raise me than abandoning me here.

So no one should tell me anything like they didn't have a choice, people always have choices in situations like this and they made theirs.

Picking up the vintage scarf she'd gifted me two months ago for my birthday, even though my birthday was last month. I wrap the scarf around my shoulders before walking towards the glass door of the antique shop while pulling it open. Then I stop briefly to look at her while saying. "Every single one of us has a choice to either do good or bad Mrs. Witkins...and they made theirs when they left me at the orphanage."

(Present)

Before I walked out on Mrs. Witkins that day, I'd caught a glimpse of what looked like remorse in her eyes. I accept that I'd spoken out of ignorance and anger I had accumulated from years of constant rejection and loneliness, but I was right about one thing. We all have a choice, and those choices are reflected in the decisions we make each day. And the choices we make matters a lot.

I was still lost in thoughts and I didn't realize I'd already entered the house and was walking towards the direction of my room when I was startled by my husband's clearing of his throat loudly.