6. Time to show you how it's done

The next fights are nothing to write home about. A few impressive knock outs and a lot of people dancing around each other. Chloe, unfortunately, lost her fight and I had to take her to the nurse who reassured me she only sustained a concussion.

"Alright everyone, gather around" says Eric once the last fight was over. He was standing next what seemed to be a score board. "This board is your life for the next few weeks. If you find yourself below the red line by the end of the first stage, you're no longer of any use to us" he said. It was harsh, but it's the truth and we have to respect it. Dauntless don't get their reputation because they sit around all day and braid each other's hair. It's hard work and it makes sense that not all of us can make it.

"Here are today's rankings" says Four, gesturing to the names that have appeared on the board. "You will see some names you might not recognize. These are the Dauntless born. You might train separately but that doesn't mean you're ranked that way"

I look at the board, truly anxious for the first time since jumping off the roof.

1. Sean
2. Iris
3. Robin
4. Jack
5. Delilah

I'm first amongst the transfers, but Chloe, Peter and Al were among the last names on the board; I have very mixed feelings about that. Honestly I'm surprised I ranked this high, but I'm worried about Chloe and how this is going to affect her. Nevertheless, I'm proud of myself for suppressing my upbringing and rising to the challenge, so a small smile pulls up my lips. Right then, I meet Eric's gaze; big mistake. He looks ready to kill someone and I have a faint idea as to who that might be. What the fuck is his problem? And why is he so damn infuriating?

"Everyone go wash up and head to dinner. We're done for the day" says Four, rubbing a tired hand over his face.

Eric's eyes are blazing.

"Not so fast" he says. A clear threat.

"First jumper" he looks directly and unwaveringly at me "in the ring, with me" he begins to move towards the ring "I think it's time I show you how it's done"

Okay now I'm definitely screwed. But my pride won't let me back down and I get in the ring. What are you doing, stupid? , a voice in my head shouts.

When I get in the ring, I immediately realize that this fight is not like the others. Eric is holding two long, wooden fighting sticks. Damn these look like they're going to hurt.

Before I can take two steps in the ring, Eric throws one of the sticks at me, probably thinking I've no idea what I'm doing and that I'll make a fool of my self. Sorry, dude, not today. I catch the stick in the air, thankful that Renner took some time to prepare me for this. Of course, we fought with metal pipes, but it got the job done.

Surprise and, of course, annoyance flicker in Eric's gaze.

"Did you honestly think you were going to get away that easy, Amity?" he says mockingly. Dude, I have a name, which is, by the way, number two on your stupid board.

"That fight was too quick initiate. You got off easy" he says. His gaze telling me exactly how little he thinks of me. I don't respond. I've tested my luck enough today and I really want to survive until dinner. My facial muscles though, seem to have a mind of their own because my expression turns hard and challenging. Again, what are you doing, stupid? Yells that voice in my head.

Eric and I begin to circle each other, fighting sticks raised. He might have an idea as to who is the hunter and who the prey, but I'm not going down without a fair fight, especially against him.

He's the first to attack, charging forwards and aiming for my right hand which is currently holding the fighting stick. What he doesn't know though, is that I am predominantly left-handed. So, before his weapon can clash against mine, I throw the stick in the air, catch it with my left hand and bring it down, trapping his fighting stick on the ground. Okay now he's pissed off.

I might have the speed, but he definitely has the body strength. In one swift motion he releases the weapon and attacks again.

We go back and forth; attack, block, all over again. I see a small smirk playing on his lips which occasionally turns into a small smile whenever he blocks a strong jab or I block one of his trickier attacks. To be honest, I'm quite enjoying this dance we have going on. Sure, he looks like he wants to kill me, but his movements are gracefully strong and I admire that a bit. For once today, he doesn't seem completely bored out of his mind, so that's a win in my book.

At one point, he has me in a headlock, blood pouring out of my nose, arms aching. He's in a slightly better state; a few bruises starting to form on his face and his shoulder seems to be giving him trouble.

"Ready to give up, Amity?" he asks menacingly.

"Bite me" I say, before driving the end of the fighting stick into his side causing him to release me.

"Enough" Four's voice booms in the room and we both stop. I look around and see that the rest of the initiates are starting to leave, probably on Four's orders.

Eric drops his weapon and with a sigh of relief, I do the same. We leave the ring and head to the infirmary; me trailing behind him at a distance, not sure what tricks he still has up his sleeve.

"What in the world happened to you two?"

Needless to say, the nurse looks horrified at our state.