Happy Birthday

On the way back to the Lodging House, we dropped Percy off at the Deli.

"I's will let ya know next time we go." I promised him.

"Thanks." The brown haired boy responded, sea green eyes glimmering, then went inside to his father. Elmer and I walked together back to Newsie Square.

"He's definitely got a torch for Harriet." The boy grinned as we walked slowly to the house.

"Definitely." I agreed, adjusting my hat.

"D'ya think she holds one for him?" Elmer asked.

"There's a possibility?" I tried. My friend nodded. We reached the door but something felt different. It was silent. There was no voices, just movement. Elmer and I looked at each other in confusion. I reached over and slowly opened the door. The lights were off. I couldn't anyone in the open, so me and the boy walked in warily. The lighted flicked on. boys jumped out from behind furniture.

"Surprise!" They all shouted, their voices all mashing up into one big bellow. I jumped.

"Happy birthday!" A few of them said as they stepped out of their places. There were a few things on the table.

"Have a look." Jack pointed to the things. Elmer went over to the objects.

"A cigar." He picked up a brown stick. Race patted his back roughly.

"Join the club, my friend." He grinned, tapping Elmer on the forehead with his own. The black haired boy smiled and picked up the next thing. It was a slingshot.

"My extra." Finch shrugged.

"Thanks." Elmer nodded. The last thing was a book titled The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

"From everyone." Crutchie beamed.

"Thank you." Elmer looked around, smiling widely. Then the boys went over and wished him happy birthday.

"We couldn't get ya a cake." Jack told him. The black haired boy made quick eye contact with me.

"That's okay." The boy's smile never faltered.

"Lets play a few!" Race called over the group, smacking a pack of cards against his hand and headed over to the table. Most of the boys followed, and I with them.

"Let's play some Dupec!" Albert cracked his knuckles after everyone was seated. The cards were dealt, and I had the bad card.

I ended up keeping it throughout the entire game. News Boys laughed as I put it down at the end. 

We played a load of more rounds before Elmer fell asleep in his seat, hands still holding his cards. The boys saw and giggles erupted around them. Jack stood and lifted up the boy bridal-style. His blue eyes were twinkling with amusement, and the three of us went up the stairs and into the room. Elmer was laced onto his bed, where he curled up and, of course, hugged a pillow. 

"Night, Olive!" Jack told me, leaving the room. The moment the door closed, Elmer sat up.

"I wasn't asleep." The boy grinned. "I's just didn't wanna walk."

"You's a nightmare." I shook my head, then sat down beside him.

"The lights don't work in here." He said randomly. I looked at him.

"What?" 

"Last night you was talkin' ta yourself 'bout why we don't use da light bulbs." Elmer explained.

"Embarrassing." I shook my head, smiling. Then I remembered when he was talking to himself a few nights ago. "At least I ain't havin' ta go ta Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn?" The black haired boy looked at me with a tense expression.

"You was talkin' 'bout it." I told it.

"Ya heard that?" He gasped.

"I did." I nodded, taking off my cap. "And what was ya sayin' about humorin'?"

(A/n: I was at like 1,000 words and it deleted ಥ‿ಥ .. So if it's kinda wonky, then it'll be fixed within half a day. (Before noon on June 23, 2020.) Sorry.)

"Humorin'?" The boy echoed, face draining of color. "Well, I's..."

"Don't ya remember?" I pressed.

"No, I does." He rubbed his neck nervously. "Does ya actually wanna be friends with me, or is ya just here 'cause Jack put ya here?"

"I's here 'cause I wanna spend time with ya." I admitted.

"Okay, good." Elmer breathed out in relief, hugging a pillow. We were sitting side by side on his bed, leaning against the cold wall. I hugged a pillow too, and within a minute, the boy was fast asleep. My heart melted at the sight, even though I'd seen it many times before. He was likable. And cute. Likable and cute. In about twenty minutes, I fell asleep, aware of the fact that Honeybelle was probably with Crutchie. She seems to really like him.