8. Visiting Day

The dorm where all of us transfers are staying during training is buzzing with excitement and nervous energy this morning. Girls are braiding their hair, some of the guys finally do us a favour and shave.

Today is Visiting Day. Families come to Dauntless to see their children and the whole day is dedicated to quality time spent together before we return to the stark reality that, should we fail initiation, no one will take us back.

Chloe is practically glowing. It's as if a golden hue surrounds her and everyone she talks to. That's why for a few blissful minutes, I feel at ease. Then I remember that my aunt and uncle are not allowed to leave Amity as long as they're the leaders of the council. It's too dangerous. Even though I miss them terribly, I wouldn't want them to be in harm's way because of me, not again. However, this also means, that any visitor from Amity cannot be good news for me. I'm the only transfer from Amity this year.

Getting ready isn't much of a struggle, just like any other day. Dressed in all-black, I help Chloe and a few other girls with their hair and join all the transfers to the Pit, where the families will be welcomed. I see some Dauntless members, Four and Eric included, mingling with the visitors, keeping everything under control and answering the occasional question. It's obvious to us that neither of the two men wants to be here, but for the sake of Visiting Day, they pretend they're not totally miserable.

I lean against a wall and observe everyone. I'm not plannig on staying long, maybe long enough for Chloe to introduce me to her family like she wanted. Four looks passive but marginally approachable. Eric on the other hand, is sporting his usual scowl, eyes darkening slightly when he is approached by people from Erudite. That slightly angers me. What's his problem with these people he's never met? Is he just prejudiced against Erudite?

I meet everyone in Chloe's family, all 10 of them. I'm about to make my way to the dorms when someone grabs my upper arm in a vice-like grip. I turn around and meet venomous green eyes.

Callum Morgenstern.

He looks like a feral dog, his composure withering away with every second that passes.

"I knew you were stupid" he begins
"But I would have never guessed you were stupid enough to disobey my orders" he pauses, taking a deep breath and tightening his hold on my arm, if that were even possible.

"I told you to stay in Amity. But did you listen? No!" he nearly yells, attracting the attention of some people nearby. He sends a charming smile their way, pulling me closer to the wall near the exit.

"You have embarrassed your entire family, do you understand that?" he snarls and I nod, not being able to help it. I never meant to hurt my family, but deep down I knew how much Callum's reputation depended on presenting a united familial front.

"You betrayed us all and for what? To join a faction that's going to chew you up and spit you up the moment you show them how weak you are?" he says, leaning closer as if he's trying to brand these words on my skin.

"You are a waste of air, always have been. You are worthless, now more than ever. I'm sure your parents are ashamed of you now. Don't get me started on your aunt and uncle." his words never fail to sting, but it's nothing I've never heard before. I'm used to Callum taking his anger out on me.

"I know" is all I say. I've heard this so many times, that it has become the only thing I truly know for sure. I left my aunt and uncle alone. I abandoned my faction. And worst of all, if my parents were here to see me, they probably would be ashamed of me too. They would be ashamed of their daughter for being weak and scared of Callum Morgenstern's words. Because what if they're true? What would that make me?

I snap back into reality, Callum still spewing insults at me.

"You're worthless, there's nothing else to be said. Step foot into Amity again and you'll regret it" he finishes his all-too-familiar tirade.

I look into his eyes and see so much hate. Could it all be directed at me? What did I ever do to deserve this?

"I know" I reply, like I always do. Because there really is nothing else to be said. I know that if I ever go back to Amity I'll regret it. I'll regret it when I see how Callum has taken charge and turnt Amity into a tyranny. I'll regret it when I see him and his friends tormenting everyone and benefiting from their hard work. But most of all, I'll regret it when I see my aunt and uncle, helpless in the face of Callum's wrath.

All of that will soon become reality, if the family that succeeds my aunt and uncle is chosen by Callum. And now that I've left Amity, he has a reason to discredit my family's ability to choose a successor. Right now I'm just hoping for a miracle and for Amity's faith in my family.

With one last look at me, Callum storms off. I turn around and nearly crash into Eric. I nearly fall on my face, but two strong arms keep me upright. Eric removes his hands quickly and sends me a glare, which seems to be the default expression of his face. This time however, his eyes are blazing even more and his jaw is set in such a way, that it looks like it's about to unhinge itself. He walks away and I do too, having no energy to deal with his unpredictable temper. And then it dawns on me that he was behind me when Callum left.

How much did he hear?
I don't want to give him any more excuses to think I'm weak.

I find a secluded spot that overlooks the Pit and sit there for a while, just observing the families reunite. Soon, my eyes lose focus and the noise calms me down. I don't know how long I've been sitting here, but I suddenly hear heavy, confident footsteps approach. I look up to see Eric. Apart from his eyes, that always seem to hold a turbulent midnight sea in them, the rest of his face is void of emotion.

I really don't want to argue, so I resign.

"Sorry, am I not allowed to be here?" I say, guessing that he's here to kick me out, since I have no visitors.

Surprise flickers quickly in his eyes, along with another emotion that is gone too fast for me to decipher. I swear if that was pity, I'll bash his skull against the wall. There's nothing I hate more than pity.

"That's not it initiate. You're needed in the infirmary. Nancy wants to check up on you." he informs me curtly. "Well don't just sit here, go. Our nurses don't have all the time in the world to waste" he adds coldly and it's not like I expected anything different from him. But his gaze is heated, unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I make my way to the infirmary, thoughts still clouding my mind.

After a quick check up with Nancy, I'm free to go. I thank her and am about to leave when her eyes suddenly light up.

"Oh! I almost forgot. Someone dropped this plate of Dauntless cake for you earlier."

"Oh, was it Chloe again?" I ask suspiciously. I thought she was too caught up with Visiting Day to find the time.

"No, dear. It wasn't Chloe" Nancy says skeptically.

Realizing she's not going to elaborate, I give her a smile and leave. My mood lifting slightly, knowing that at least this day ended on a sweet note.

Who could have sent me the cake though? I wander as I walk to the dorm.

Whoever it was though, probably had no idea how much I needed that today.