Chapter 23

Catina and her sister stood with their mother in front of the carriage as they said their goodbyes. A few steps away Amelia was animatly engaging in a conversation with her elder brother and his wife, leaving the twins and Greyson to talk amongst themselves.

The air between them was slightly tense, but there wasn't any hostility.

Catina looked back and forth between Greyson and Catrina as she tried to figure out what was going on between them. After the two returned from the infirmary they had to separate as Catrina left to get her hair fixed. It was around dinner when the two once again entered the same room, and even then, there were barely any words spoken between the two.

That night Catina was tempted to ask her sister what happened during their walk to the doctor, but before she could even entertain the thought, Catrina was already tucked in and softly snoring.

Catina was broken from her thoughts as Greyson sighed softly and said, "Have a safe trip."

Catrina cleared her throat, "Um.. thanks."

Greyson nodded.

Catrina once again glanced at the two of them before turning her gaze to the surrounding trees. For a moment she silently wished she was already sitting in the carriage.

Catrina cleared her throat again before saying, "Our guards are very skilled, I'm not worried for my safety."

Greyson nodded, "That's true."

Silence fell.

Catina continued looking everywhere else but at the two of them. It was the first time she had realized that the fountain at the end of the path was so pretty.

"Alright my lovely little flowers, it's time for us to go." Amelia said as she walked over, "Don't forget to say goodbye to your uncle."

The twins took turns saying goodbye to their uncle and aunt before entering the carriage.

As Catrina was entering the carriage she suddenly paused and turned towards Greyson, "Don't think that because you won this time that you can start slacking off."

Catina's eyes widened as she stood up from inside the carriage. Was her sister trying to pick a fight?

Sensing everyone's eyes on her, pursed her lips before continuing, "I won't lose again."

Greyson's eyes softened and his lips twitched as he tried to suppress his smile, "Alright."

With a satisfied nod, Catrina lifted her dress and entered the carriage.

The coachman closed the doors and soon the carriage began moving.

Catina watched her sister oddly, "What was that?"

Catrina furrowed her eyebrows, "What was what?"

Catina huffed, "You know what I mean!"

Catrina shushed her and pointed to their mother who was already silently dozing off on the seat across from them.

Catina apologized sheepishly and before lowering her voice, "So? Did you apologize to him?"

Catrina glared at her, "I did not and will not apologize to him."

Catina furrowed her eyebrows, "Rina, you can't just not apologize to him and then hope that things will go back to normal."

"I've already admitted defeat, isn't that enough?"

Catina frowned, "What does that have to do with giving him an apology?"

Catrina rolled her eyes, "It has everything to do with it. That fight was a tie at best."

Catina raised her eyebrows, "Are you saying you gave him the win?"

Catrina snorted, "Obviously."

"Right..." Catina trailed off. She didn't know whether or not her sister was being honest.

"Besides," Catrina continued as she tried to make herself comfortable on the seat, "Why should I be the only one apologizing? I'm not the only one in the wrong."

"Well I don't know about the promise that was supposedly broken, so what else can I say?" Catina shrugged.

"I told you that I would tell you about it later." Catrina pursed her lips, "You're going to think that I overreacted."

"Did you?"

"Only a little." Catrina said softly.

A soft laugh drew both their attention to the opposite side of the carriage. Amelia sat up slightly as she stretched.

Catrina blanched, "Mother!"

Amelia waved her off with one hand as she used the other to cover her mouth as she yawned.

"Relax darling," With that said, Amelia shifted the carriage curtains as she looked outside, "It seems like we're almost there."

Catrina leaned over and looked out the window as well, "Are you sure? Nothing looks familiar."

"That's because you've never been to the royal castle before." Amelia said lightly.

Catina's eyes widened, "We're going to the royal castle?"

"No." Amelia sighed, "I'm going to the royal castle. The king has requested my presence."

Catrina sighed in relief, "What about us?"

"The carriage will bring the two of you home." Before they could protest, Amelia continued, "And don't worry, I'll be home before dinner."

The twins could only nod in acceptance as the carriage slowly came to a halt.

Amelia briefly kissed the two on their foreheads before leaving the carriage.

As the carriage slowly began to move again the twins silently stared at the gigantic castle from the window. The lofty castle, which they had only seen in history books, was now standing right before their eyes. It's figure was imposing, leaving a slight chill in their hearts.

"One day I'm going to be living there..." Catrina said softly, her tone void of happiness.

Catina lowered her eyes, "Yeah.."