24. Goodbyes

Two weeks

Two weeks.

Two weeks of her being passed out. That's what Aidyn told [Name] when she asked what happened. [Name] felt like the kid who didn't go to school for one day and missed the latest school drama. So many events happened, yet she was not a part of them.

"[Name]?" a honeyed voice called out. Aidyn left the room to take a call, leaving the antagonist alone in the monochromatic hospital room. Not gonna lie, but passing out gets boring after a day or two. She couldn't wait to eat real food instead of getting nutrients from the IV.

The girl in question craned her head to see everyone crowded around the tiny door frame like hesitant puppies— waiting for their owner to beckon them forward. None of them had changed out of their suits, highlighting their pretty faces. [Name] saw why they were selected as love interests; even though Headquarters was sketchy, damn, did they have good taste.

"You guys look amazing," [Name] laughed weakly as she clutched her stomach. Whatever numbing agent Lumi put on her was an absolute blessing in disguise because she only felt a dull, throbbing pain. No wonder painkillers were a gateway drug.

"And you look like a hot mess," Nari instinctively replied, resulting in N elbowing him in the stomach.

"At least, I'm hot," [Name] playfully retorted before wincing in pain. Damn, looked like the painkillers were wearing off. "I'm assuming the mission is finally completed."

"Yeah," Sei smiled. Smiles were storytellers, and his smile told a story of exhaustion. However, there was a hint of satisfaction hiding beneath. When Sei first transferred to this mission, he never thought he would become so attached to everyone. "We're finally done."

"Move out of the way!" someone shouted from the back. His voice increased in volume as he squeezed himself to the front. Judging by the singsongy, almost mischievous voice, it had to be Keo. "I gotta see my bestie!" A tuft of black hair poked from the top, and its red tips confirmed the mystery person's identity.

"Keo! I can't believe you suddenly became plot relevant again!" The antagonist gushed as she stuck out her arms for a hug. The bandages on his arm were a pristine white. She missed this big oaf so much.

"[Name]! You know I'm always plot relevant!" His mischievous violet eyes peered onto [Name] as a smile fought its way onto his face. The two pulled each other into a tight embrace before both recoiling in pain with [Name] grasping her stomach, and Keo cradling his stitched-up arm.

Ah, how could they forget about their injuries?

"Why are you two so stupid?" Lumi chuckled, wiping away the tears welling in his eyes. "You both know you shouldn't provoke your stitches."

"You worry too much, Lumi." A devious grin overtook Keo's lips. [Name] adored that smile because it was the first smile Keo taught her. It was a smile that seemed to say, 'life isn't anything without a little excitement— a little jolt of reckless risk.' "Plus, the main cast always group hugs after a mission is complete!"

Without a warning, Keo pulled everyone into a group hug. Sure, his arm hurt, but pain was a social construct anyway. At that moment, [Name] wished the world paused. There were no more protagonists, and there were no more antagonists. This was a family she would die for and craved since her background character days.

[Name] memorized everyone's quirks and idiosyncrasies. Lumi's motherly personality; Rion's psychopathic tendencies; Nari's love for competition; Essi's awkward quips; Leo's cold front; Sei's obsession with money; N's tsundere attitude; and Keo's hyper optimism.

She prayed this relationship would never break up.

Then, a knock on the door.

"I'm terribly sorry about ruining this touching reunion," Aidyn leaned on the door frame with a phone in his hand. "You have a call from your manager, Sei."

Manager?

All eyes shifted to Sei who was frozen in place. His eyebrows were scrunched, and his shoulders were stiff. Hesitantly, Sei took the phone from Aidyn's hand.

"Hello, ma'am?" Sei said clearly, not a single waver in his voice. However, [Name] noticed how his hands fiddled with his tie. The antagonist shot Aidyn a questioning glare but was only responded with a sorrowful head shake.

"But, ma'am—"

"I... I understand, but—"

"Yes... I'll be returning right away, ma'am..."

A breath was held, waiting in anticipation. Sei silently returned the phone to Aidyn before glancing to the side.

"I was initially sent by headquarters to fill the hole in Crystal's harem," he began with slight trembles in his voice. "Now, that Crystal is gone, I... um... I need to return to my own group."

"What do you mean your own group?" [Name] asked softly. The bridge of her nose tingled.

"Well..." Sei wetted his lips. "I'm sure you know, but there are other groups like ours— I mean, yours— that play along with other protagonist's stories. Varying levels are dependent on skill. Typically, more skilled actors are on higher levels, and they deal with more difficult protagonists and plots."

The room was silent, so Sei continued. "I was a part of a higher leveled group. However, I was blacklisted." That cursed word. "Thankfully, my manager managed to soften my punishment, so I was only assigned to help a lower-level group, which is you guys."

"And that's why you're here?"

"And that's why I'm here."

Essi tugged on Sei's sleeve. "Will we get to see you again, Mr. Sei?"

"Maybe if I do something stupid again, but there's a high chance I'll just be terminated completely like Orae." He bent down to Essi's level and ruffled his hair. Rion didn't even react because he was in complete shock. Everyone forgot about Sei's temporary stay. "And, even if I'm lucky, there's a low probability I'll be assigned to your group again."

"Don't say that! We're gonna see each other again!" [Name] exclaimed while struggling to get off the bed with Lumi's and Keo's help. "I promise you!"

"Wanna bet on it?" Sei gave a bittersweet smile. "I'll bet my entire life savings and my stuffed animal." Jokes on [Name] because he didn't have any stuffed animals.

"We have a deal, Sei." Realization that this might be the last time she would address Sei directly hit [Name] with full force. Sei. Sei. Sei. Sei. The man who mastered the stock market. The man who could count correctly. The leader of the Spooky Strawberries. "Be prepared to lose."

Sei grinned. Why did this group, who he knew for half a mission, felt more like a family than his actual group?

"I hope I lose."

With that, Sei left to pack his belongings.

_____

A/N: A happy ending?? From me?? AHA. You've been tricked and, quite possibly, bamboozled. In all honesty, I deadass forgot Sei was only supposed to stay for Crystal's arc, then leave. I even created a role for him in the next arc lmaoooo. 

Edited by *jazz hands* @Imaybetrashbut