• | Chapter Seventeen | •

| Monday Afternoon. . .

Riley traveled through the crowded hallways alone, weaving in and out of those blocking her path toward her locker. Her face puckered in annoyance at the cluster of people who were in no hurry to attend their next class and most were just lounging around before the warning bell would ring. Squeezing through several groups of people, she finally reached her destination and quickly unlocked her locker, swinging it open to cause it to slam back against another.

As she emptied her bag of the burden of at least two textbooks, she felt nimble fingers tickle her right side briefly before the presence of the figure shifted to the left of her. She glanced up at the familiar handsome face and a smile immediately formed upon her glossed lips.

"Hey, Mr. Jackson," She softly greeted before returning her attention to her locker and grabbing her Sex Ed notebook. "What brings you over here?"

"I was just on my way to pick up a few things from the front office, and I happened to see you." He shrugged, a coy smile lingering on his face as his eyes quickly swept over her body. He licked his lips in approval of her simple attire of black high-waist cargo pants and a yellow crop top that highlighted her stunning brown skin.

Riley smirked as she turned her head back toward him just as his eyes connected with hers. "See something you like?"

He answered with a sly smile, making her to blush profusely. She glanced shyly back at her locker before taking a quick glimpse around them. "Um, you know there are people staring at us, right?"

Mr. Jackson only rolled his eyes and exhaled. "I could be talking to a wall and they'll still stare."

"They'll most likely stare because they'll think you're crazy." Riley laughed as he made a silly face at her.

"Whatever. Walk with me?" He asked, and she nodded.

She quickly closed her locker and walked alongside him while adjusting her bag back onto her shoulder.

"So, how's Calculus?" He asked as they moved through the hallway traffic.

"It's better. I wanted to thank you for helping me." She said as she looked up at him.

"Oh, it was no problem. I actually wanted to thank you for those kinds words you said the other week." He smiled down at her, another shade of blush appearing on her cheeks. "Did you really mean all that you said?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't have said anything in the first place." She replied, ignoring the jealous glares of a small group of girls.

He noticed the negative attention directed towards her and quickly shot the girls a bashful smile and a nod of acknowledgment. Instantly, their hardened faces fell, and they swooned from his attention.

"You're really sweet, you know that?" He gazed back at her.

She smiled softly. "Only if I like you."

He raised his perfect brow in amusement and decided to tease her some more. "So you like me, huh?"

"I mean not in that way, 'cause you know, that's not allowed and you could get in a lot of trouble a-and-" Her flustered rambling was cut short by Mr. Jackson's contagious laugh.

"Yes, I know the consequences, Riley." His smile was light as he playfully nudged her arm with his elbow and basked in her shy giggle. "But sometimes they can be worth it for the right person."

Her eyes widened slightly as the warning bell rang and the halls immediately began to clear out.

"You can go to class; I'll meet you there." He winked before walking the rest of the way towards the office.

Riley bit the corner of her lip as she turned down the nearest hallway and briskly walked to class. Her heart fluttered rapidly in her chest from what he said, but did he really mean it? Would he risk his reputation for a student? Was he even speaking about her? Or was he just playing mind games?

Too absorbed in her thoughts, the sudden sound of giggles jolted her back into reality, and she turned her attention to where the sound was coming from. Nearby were two junior girls flirting shamelessly with Craig, who relished in their attention. The quick fluttering of their fake eyelashes could be mistaken as a nervous twitch if one wasn't paying attention to their coquettish advances.

Instantly enraged from the sight, Riley detoured from her path and over towards Craig. The flirtatious smiles the girls once had quickly dispersed, and Craig turned around to the source of the cause. He averted his gaze and turned his back toward Riley, silently hoping she would go away.

"Hey, Craig," Riley spoke with a fake smile. "What'cha doing?"

"Um, just talking to some friends." He returned a weak smile.

"Mhm, can I talk to you alone?" She asked, and he reluctantly nodded.

"I'll talk to you girls later." He said before turning his full attention toward Riley.

"No, he won't." She said to them over his shoulder. The girls gave her a dirty look before walking on to class. She was quick to call him out. "What the hell, Craig? Aren't you dating Jay? That girl is head over heels for you and you go behind her back to score with another group of thots?"

"We're not dating; we're only talking." He said as he leaned against the glass window overlooking a small garden and stuffed his hands into his jean pockets.

"Really? Because it looked like dating to me. This is exactly why I didn't want her getting involved with you because you do this to every girl. You make them seem like they're the only one in your life when they're just another lay to you."

Craig released an exasperated sigh, running a hand through his short brunet hair. "I know, I know."

"So if you know, then why do you keep doing this? What do you gain from all this?"

"They just throw themselves at me and I just go with it, and the guys give me respect for it." He exhaled, seemingly frustrated with himself. "Listen, I really do like Jay, but I don't know if I'm cut out for this couple thing."

"Then tell her that. Don't have her running around behind you like a lost puppy." She said, intensely glaring at him. "I swear on my life, Craig, if you hurt her, I will beat the shit out of you or die trying to. I won't let my best friend become just another trophy to you."

Stunned by her sudden threat, he nodded solemnly and didn't say another word. The Riley he was used to only threw jabs and slick comments toward him. And he knew she was right. The last thing he truly wanted to do was hurt Jay in any way or form.

"Talk to her." She demanded, then walked off. Knowing she was going to end up late to class anyway, she took her time walking down the long hallways as the final bell rung throughout the hall indicating that she was indeed late.

Sighing in annoyance, she knocked on the classroom door from where inside she could hear Mr. Jackson already starting his lecture for the day. He quickly finished his sentence before briefly pausing to open the door. Before she could walk in, he quickly stepped outside the door and let it almost close behind him.

"Why are you late?" He asked, arms folded across his chest.

"I got into an argument with someone." She said, not wanting to talk any more about it. "I'm sorry I'm late, but it was something I really had to take care of."

He was quiet momentarily. "You do understand that because you're at least two minutes late and I'm not supposed to show favoritism, I can't give you a free pass, right?"

She nodded, but then cocked her head slightly. "Wait, are you also implying that I'm your favorite student, Mr. Jackson?"

"Maybe." He shrugged, motioning his head toward the door. "I'll write you a slip at the end of class."