Chapter 24

For StephanieWithAnA, one of my most supportive readers and friends ❤

Aiden had been avoiding me all morning, and I felt like shit. At lunchtime, I decided to look for him and apologize for the way I behaved the previous day.

Luckily, I spotted Aiden in the restaurant where we usually had lunch, sitting at a table, and eating with a frown on his face.

"Aiden." I pulled out a chair and sat opposite him.

He nodded and went on chewing.

"Look, man, I'm sorry. I fucked up, " I said.

"That you did."

I raked my fingers through my hair. "I feel like shit for how I reacted. It's just that dude, you're eighteen. She's seventeen. It sort of feels rushed. You have all your life ahead of you."

I sucked at apologies. Throwing Aiden's age into the mix wouldn't make him forgive me faster.

"And I want to spend it with her. Got a fucking problem with that?" He looked me in the eye.

"I don't. I guess I'm just a bitter jerk who can't believe in happily ever after and all that shit."

"You're my friend. Friends are supposed to be happy for each other, and if you're not, you should've pretended, man. I'd rather take that than the fucking silence. For me, it isn't rushed. What Ellie and I have is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Do you think it was easy to ask her? Do you think I wasn't afraid she'd say no? But guess what, she wants it with me just like I do, so excuse me if I want to spend my life with the person I love."

He was right. Of course, he was right. Yet, I found myself saying, "It's not that I have anything against it. I know your story, that's not the point. Being so attached to someone is dangerous, Aiden. When something happens to that person, it wrecks people's lives. I'd hate to see that happen to you."

Aiden shrugged. "Shit happens all the time. I'd rather it did with Ellie by my side to face it together."

"Okay." I sighed. "I'm sorry. Can we forget what I did and move on?"