...and how Alice was saved

(Y/N)'s POV

The way back was surprisingly easy even with all the lost walking back from reforming, we only had to run from the few larger lost that were unavoidable. The weather on the other hand was awful, it started raining a couple minutes ago when we reached the last stretch home.

I suggested we go back to the city to find a house where we could hide from the rain and the lost, but Alice said she wanted to get to base as fast as possible. So here we are, walking  uphill towards the abandoned church I call base with a shivering woman in tow.

Now that we are back in base, I am so done with today.

(Y/N): This is it Alice, you're almost safe.

Alice: Good... this really was... a trek huh?

She was speaking between heavy breaths, not to mention soaked and probably sweating from all the running. At this point I am relieved for her.

I stop at the door while she bends over and uses her knees as supports for her hands, let her calm down a bit before going inside a den of revenants.

Alice: Okay... This is it right?

(Y/N): Yeah.

With those last words I open the double doors and walk inside where the rain can't get us. Looking around the church's insides I see Io standing by her bed while Coco and Rin are talking by the armory's counter.

Something also puts weight on my back, I can only assume it's Alice either hiding behind me or collapsed and about to face plant on the floor.

(Y/N): Please don't fall...

When I turn around I see she has her eyes open and slight fear on her expression. At least afraid is better than passed out, so I grab her hand and lead her further inside approaching Rin and Coco.

(Y/N): Hey girls, where's Davis?

Rin: He's out doing some depths work. And who's this girl?

Coco: Another human, does this group just help every lost kitten?

(Y/N): I sure do help kittens. Girls, this is Alice.

Alice: H-hello.

(Y/N): Alice, the one in the hat is Coco. She's the local merchant. The kid there is—

Rin: Kid? I bet I've lived more than you. Anyway, my name  is Rin Murasame...

(Y/N): Mind keeping an eye on her for me Coco? It'll be just a minute.

Coco: Sure thing.

I leave them so I can vacate my room for the night. If Davis isn't back soon I'll have to convince people to let Alice sleep here, and since I don't want to occupy another room the couch will do for me.

One cleaning montage later

Okay, the room is presentable and all my things are packed and in the hallway. I head back to our guest and her entertainers so I can guide her around the place.

Rin: ... and he said it was "too broad"! Can you believe the guy?

(Y/N): I've been here for a day and you're already making fun of me?

Coco: We were just talking about the only human we've had here in quite some time. So she could relate and relax a bit.

(Y/N): Somehow, I doubt she's going to follow in my footsteps.