Chapter 11

"So basically, your office retreat turned into a honeymoon," Amanda said from the other end of the phone.

I smiled to myself, "no Amanda, you're reaching. Stop it."

"I'm just saying," Amanda replied, laughing.

It had been two weeks since getting back from the retreat, and things most definitely were different. I got to see the soft side of Miss Rose, and it was beautiful and I loved it. She made me text her when I had gotten home every day after work. She worried about me; I knew that; I wish she didn't have to, but at the same time I loved the warmth that encompassed me knowing that Miss Rose was thinking about me.

"Okay Amanda, "I said rolling my eyes, even though I knew she couldn't see me, "I've got to get to work now."

Amanda was still laughing when I hung up.

"Miss Muna Johnson. What time do you call this?"

I froze in my steps, my head going blank. I had walked into the office and here Miss Rose was standing at my table right outside her office. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she had a very stern look on her face. She was dressed in a green polka dot suit and dark green wet-look trainers.

"Um," I looked down at my watch nervously, I was here ten minutes before time. Was my watch late? Was there a memo that I missed?

I glanced up tentatively, "um.."

"I'm just pulling your leg," Miss Rose suddenly said, uncrossing her arms and replacing the stern emotion on her face with a grin.

I tried to smile back, but I was low key, still trembling in my high heels. This woman always decided to crack her little jokes at the weirdest of times.

"Come on, Muna. We have an appointment," at that Miss Rose began walking in the opposite direction of her office.

I tried to keep up while glancing down at the iPad in my hands.

"Um, Miss Rose. You have no scheduled appointments..."

"I know dummy," she turned, looking at me and flashing her million-dollar smile, "this is for you, darling."

Huh?

I stared at the back of her head a little longer as I struggled to keep up with her. It's amazing how she could refer to me as 'dummy' and 'darling' in the same breath.

"After you, my lovely PA, that doesn't know how to drive but yet still gets paid to drive me places." Miss Rose said, holding the passenger seat door of her car open for me.

I felt myself heat-up. I could tell she was really enjoying this from the huge smile plastered across her face. She kept smiling to herself too, and although I was happy to see her happy, it also made me extremely uneasy.

"So...am I going to know where we are going?" I asked the moment Miss Rose got into the car.

She ignored me and instead put on the radio, turning the volume all the way up. I watched her silently as she reversed out of the office car park and began speeding down the highway. I knew I was staring at her. And I knew she knew. The huge smile plastered on her face hadn't left but seemed to increase as the seconds went by. Clearly she enjoyed keeping me on edge.

Surprisingly enough, I found myself smiling too. The mischievous smile on her face was contagious.

The drive took about 15 minutes, and I was audibly shocked when we pulled up at a Dersacé store. What kind of appointment could I possibly have at an expensive designer store?