[45] Mansion Mates

Chapter 45: Mansion Mates

There were rumors in Swell Valley of the children living at Maythorne Manor. People swore they saw them - small children, well behaved and dressed like they were from the twentieth century. Some said they were ghosts, others said they were an orphanage.

I say they're my flat-mates.

Mansion-mates as the case may be.

I followed Mrs Maythorne into the back garden. She was wearing a long black dress, which was at odds with the white sky and pale ground. 

The leaves were losing their color in the colder months.

"Kaya," Mrs Maythorne approached the group. The children were learning how to garden with Mohan.

They were all dressed in red or orange cashmere sweaters with the same blue khakis. I'd never seen cashmere as part of anyone's gardening attire. I guess this was a place of firsts.

"Kaya," Mrs Maythorne looked around at all the children, struggling to find Kaya.

See, this is the downside of dressing them the same. It's both creepy and impractical.

"She's over there," a little boy pointed to behind a tree.

"Why isn't she gardening with all of you?" Mrs Maythorne asked.

"She found a ladybug."

"Kaya dear," Mrs Maythorne called out, walking to a girl sitting cross legged behind a tree.

I was excited to see her. This was the great hope, the girl we had gone to exceptional lengths to rescue. She turned around and I stared at her. She must've been my age, an innocent girl with the most phenomenal eyes.

Violet eyes.  

"Kaya, will you say hello to Georgia? She wants to show you around." Mrs Maythorne helped bring the girl to her feet. She then came to me, "Ok, enjoy your time together. It's important that you bond. Stay out in the forest for a couple hours."

"Hi there, my name's Georgia," I told her, while she looked at me hesitantly, "I heard you used to live here."

Kaya and I walked into the forest and she drifted off the trail every few minutes. Something would catch her eye, a colorful flower or a squirrel, and off she would go. I admired her ability to find beauty in the simplest of things. But it was also very hard to keep track of her.

She wasn't very talkative. She spoke with an accent, but I didn't know from where. She seemed wise beyond her years, like nothing would bother her.

The more time I spent with her, the more fascinated I became.  She was enchanting; a beautiful and innocent person.

She would hum to herself. Apparently, the world's savior likes to sing.

"Be careful for your trousers," I said when she was kneeling on the muddy earth. Truth is, I didn't mind. I wanted her to enjoy herself, but I know Mrs Maythorne and she would not be pleased.

Kaya looked up at me and smiled. She didn't mind getting mud on her clothes. 

I handed her a smooth pebble I found that reflected the sunlight and slightly sparkled as it did.  She started collecting small rocks around us.

"We should start heading back home now, Kaya. It's getting late," I pointed at the sun.

She joined me on the path. The forest was so big that I still did not feel comfortable straying from the defined routes.