chapter thirteen

The year started off pretty uneventful. We had a new defense against the dark arts professor but that was no surprise. Her name was Delores Umbridge and Harry made us aware that she was at his hearing at the ministry and she was definitely not one to be messed with.

It didn't take long for Harry and me to make up as everyone was already being pretty harsh on him after what the daily prophet was writing about him and Dumbledore. I was still hurt about the order of the phoenix and the Sirius situation, but I decided it was best not to dwell on it. They probably had a fair reason for keeping it all from me, as much as it hurt.

Cormac and I had actually gotten a lot closer and he seemed to be becoming less of a meat head and could actually hold a decent conversation. Harry had been having strange dreams again, but that didn't come from his mouth of course. Ron told me everything about how he'd been incredibly irritable and how he was waking up in the middle of the night sweating a screaming but refused help. I had no clue what they could be about and expressed to Ron how maybe if he told me what was going on, I could help but he refused.

My first lesson with Umbridge was odd, she and the ministry had decided that they wouldn't be teaching us any defense against the dark arts spells but rather learn the theory behind them. Harry wasn't too happy about this and earned himself a detention with her rather quick.

I woke up on a soggy Wednesday morning pretty late after accidentally sleeping through breakfast. I got ready for the day and quickly began to make my way to my first lesson which was Potions. As I was leaving the common room, I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Amelia," Draco paced up to me, smirking.

"Malfoy." I responded, confused however glad to see him without Pansy on his side.

"Can I walk with you?" He asked, hopeful.

"Draco, I don't know- "I began before getting interrupted.

"I just want to be friends again, Amelia." He stated seriously. Maybe he had matured over summer, and in all honesty, I did miss him. I took a quick second to take in his appearance, he'd definitely grown taller and he'd stopped gelling his hair as much.

"Okay." I replied, holding back a smirk. We began walking to potions class together and for some reason I felt almost nervous, despite the fact we were so close for so many years.

"So, how's Cormac?" He asked. It wasn't malicious but Cormac was the last thing I wanted to talk to Draco about.

"Fine- he's fine, I guess." I mumbled, looking away from him. "How's Pansy?"

"Couldn't really care less" He grumbled; half a joke half serious. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but smiled up at him, nonetheless.

We soon arrived at the potions classroom and were only mildly scolded by Snape with a glare but obviously weren't given a detention and had no points removed as we were both Slytherin. I waved Draco off and he went and sat with Pansy and I made my way over to Cormac at the back of the classroom and sat down next to him.

"Why were you with Malfoy?" He spat under his breath as I took my books out.

"We just walked to class together because we were both late." I explained but didn't apologize, I wasn't going to let him decide who I could be friends with.

"Malfoy? Of all people?" He continued, not making eye contact with me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shot back, grabbing his arm so he'd look at me.

"He's an arse, Amelia. Plus, he obviously has a weird thing for you." He grumbled, shoving my hand off of his arm.

"What the hell is up with you, Cormac? He's only an arse to you because you're an arse to him." I argued back, I was surprised no one had noticed our little lovers tiff in the back of the classroom as everyone got on with their work but appreciated the fact that no one had.

"I don't want you around him." He sighed, a slightly gentler tone as he turned to face me.

"Tough. You don't get to decide who I'm friends with." I stated, huffing and folding my arms.

"Fine, have it your way." He shot back, dramatically standing to his feet and grabbing his books, a couple heads turning back as he strutted towards the spare seat next to Hermione at the front of the class. My jaw tightened as Draco looked back at me, instead of the sympathetic look I had expected, he had a smirk laced on his mouth indicating that he'd clearly eavesdropped on our conversation. Not even Harry and Ron had noticed what had happened and they were sat right in front of us. I couldn't help but smirk back but quickly looked down at my feet to hide it. My eyes then fell on Cormac who was in a deep conversation with Hermione.

The lesson soon passed, and I began packing up my things. Cormac had dramatically rushed out of the classroom, clearly in a mood with me. As I was putting my stuff away, Draco walked up to me and again we both couldn't hide the smirk on our faces.

"Lovers tiff?" He chuckled. I looked over at Pansy who had an agitated expression on her face as she stood waiting for Draco to walk with her but soon realized what was happening.

"Something like that." I replied, rolling my eyes. Draco turned to watch Pansy exit the classroom before we started walking to our next class.