Chapter 14: Brute (Day 5) Edited

The sun shined through the window as it did every day since the fall. You opened your eyes, almost blinded by the light. No memories of the night before remained. You knew that something happened, but, of course, you had no clue as to what it was. That was just the fatal flaw of a lazy hero that wasn't fit for their task.

But that was when you noticed a small sheet of paper sticking out of a closed drawer below the nightstand. It tempted you amazingly, and you had no choice but to investigate what it was.

Curiosity killed the cat.

With every step, the solution got closer and closer, but you felt more distance between yourself and Jeff at the same time. The floor was giving out beneath you as well. However, you knew that it was the right thing to do. Any secret too terrible should never be hidden from the people that may suffer from it. Therefore, any secret involving an innocent sheet of paper was at the utmost importance for a girl missing chunks of her past.

The drawer was old, and you could tell that it was misaligned with its track. But even so, you were able to open it and spot millions of sheets similar to the one that flew out. You noticed that all of the papers fit into a notebook sitting near the bottom that had been ripped apart. How very queer... Jeff must have brought them on the trip. If not, the staff would have thrown them out before the next guests arrived.

A shiny object came into your view. You moved the notebook to see it.

It was a bottle. A metal bottle, to be exact. On the outside, a note was taped to it:

Dose: 1 per person per day. Do not take if not instructed to do so. Used for experiments only, with the exception of government officials conducting the SCP tests.

SCP... You'd heard of that before. It was some crazy organization that was supposed to contain strange creatures. But what was the need of pills? All of the entries on their website were fake. They even said it themselves. Jeff must've been pulling a prank on you. But... Why would he hide them then? If he wanted you to see, he would've put them on the counter or something.

There was a knock at the door and you jumped, throwing the bottle to the ground.

"Hey, are you awake yet?" Jeff muffled behind the door.

"Yeah, just give me a minute or two!" you shouted, hoping that he didn't hear the bottle rattling.

Continuing your search, you placed the container at the bottom of the drawer and pulled out a random sheet of paper torn from the notebook. The sloppy writing didn't stop you from trying to interpret what was written on it. The top left corner showed the SCP logo, and you almost laughed. It was like a hotel souvenir. Some SCP notepad up-for-grabs for all guests and visitors? It had to be a joke. The entire organization was fake, so why wouldn't its branches be a hoax as well?

Besides the logo, a memento was placed between the lines:

The Rake - Elongated nails, enlarged mouth, human-like figure, arched back.

It sounded exactly like the creature you had seen the day before. But that creature was a figment of your imagination- just a hallucination caused by the medicine you took. Medicine. What type of medicine was it? Jeff told you it was for memory loss. Actually, you didn't remember that. You didn't remember taking any medicine. But you knew you had to make sure, so you grabbed the pill bottle again and poured one into your hand. Your eyes started shaking at the sight of it. He wouldn't do that to you, right? Would he? Would he really give you some sort of pill that would make you see a creature that wasn't supposed to exist? Or maybe it only existed in another level of spirituality.

Enough with the paranormal crap. The only thing you knew was that the pill you held in your hand was the same pill Jeff claimed to be "Memory Restoration Medicine". What was Jeff doing with those papers and those pills? What in God's name was he hiding? How could he hide anything from you? You were helpless.

You hoped it was a joke as you threw all the papers back in the drawer and slammed it shut. Sighing, you made your way into the kitchen and greeted the stranger sitting at the table. He shrugged and complained about how the time difference was catching up to him. You agreed.

Jeff looked over at you and narrowed his eyes. "You don't look okay," he said.

Would it be okay to ask him about what you saw?

"I told you, you can talk to me about anything," he muttered.

No. It was best just to act like nothing was wrong. As a matter of fact, you could just trick your memory into thinking you were dreaming again. Yes, you could even fool yourself into believing that the nightstand didn't exist. It was the right thing to do.

"I think we should go to the Eiffel Tower," Jeff stated. "That was one of the first things we did last time we came."

"Sounds great," you replied.

A while later, you were ready to go. You found a disposable camera in the closet and decided to bring it along. Might as well not waste any more opportunities to recover memories. You could always look at photos to jog your clouded mind, as it seemed to be the easiest thing. Pictures couldn't be manipulated. Whatever you see in them is what really happened. No tricks, and no jokes.

"I called a taxi and they should be here by the time we get downstairs," Jeff said. "But I'm not sure how well people drive here."

"That's alright!" you mentioned.

You both went down to the lobby and walked outside. Seeing a taxi waiting in the front, Jeff opened the backseat door on the passenger's side. His eyes immediately froze and his body went stiff. The driver was... odd. He had some sort of mask over his mouth that wrapped around the back through his dark hair. You figured he was just sick. But was it safe to be in a car with a sick foreign man? Not only that, but his attire was strange for his job. He was wearing a formal white button-up.

"Don't mind me," the driver said, "I have a slight cough."

Looking over at Jeff, you noticed he was hesitating to get in the car.

"Okay. Let's go," he finally said.