51 | the space between

| meliorism |
chapter fifty one
❝ the new deal ❞

| meliorism |chapter fifty one❝ the new deal ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

The sunlight peeked through the blue curtains of the room, a warm welcoming to another day. The breeze travelled from outside, hitting its way against the glass and into the cracks, entering the home. For the first time in what it seemed like forever, Rhena was not alone in the house.

A piece of her heart was restored, giving her peace. She leaned her head back against the couch, sighing deeply. Next to her, were Asher and Indira sleeping. They all moved the couches together, creating a big bed for them all. But she didn't sleep the whole night, she feared that if she did, someone might come and take them away from her.

She wasn't as tired as she should be, especially after what had happened last night. Her paranoia was at its highest, and even though she was calmer in comparison to other days, now she wouldn't even dare to keep her guard down.

Now, she was waiting. She had called Cade first thing in the morning, explaining what had happened to their little siblings. He was euphoric, of course, he had blamed himself as well, just like her. But after she told him, he was on his way home. The two had much to discuss, but they had come to a realization: their family was not safe anymore.

It was a hard decision, but it would be right one; she was a danger to everything and everyone she was near. There was still much to do, but in the meantime, her family would be safe, and that was all that mattered.

    None of her friends called, she understood their reasons. She looked like a traitor, and perhaps she was, but no matter how much they insisted, she didn't want to be in their war, she was already having one of her own.

She wondered what had happened the day before, because everyone had a different recollection of events, she hadn't even heard from Rebekah, who was going to call to tell her the night was. But if she had to guess, it was that she had been dagger, again, people played dirty, and sadly, Rebekah was in the middle. She was starting to really like the girl, despite her friends thinking the opposite.

Next to her bag, her cell phone vibrated. Caroline's name lit up on her screen, along with a picture of the two of them that was a few years old. She looked over at the siblings before standing up, walking barefoot towards the device.

She looked at the screen for a few seconds before picking up, rubbing away from the drowsiness "hello?"

"Hey" Caroline's soft voice spoke through the phone "how are you? Elena told me about your siblings, that's great, Rheny"