52 | monster among us

| meliorism |
chapter fifty two
❝ our town ❞

| meliorism |chapter fifty two❝ our town ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

"Watch out!"

The hurried voice of her sister echoed around the garden, but she didn't stop. When you're in the middle of a fight, there would be all sorts of noises surrounding you; you needed to be focused.

    Rhena approached him again, her leg interlaced with his, this time, he was too slow and ended up falling back. She let out a breath, puffing her hair away from her face as she looked down, half smiling.

    "That was good" she nodded, looking down at the boy.

He let out a huff, moving away his curly hair as he narrowed his eyes at her "You always say that to make us feel better"

"I mean it, that was good, you learn fast" she offered a hand to him, and he immediately took it, wiping off the dirt from his pants "you just need a little more strength here, more pressure" she signaled her stomach area, panting a little "but you can get better if you practice"

"I don't think vampires would wait for us to throw the first punch" Asher raised his eyebrows, taking a sip from the water Indira offered him.

"No, they will go straight to the neck, if they're smart, they'll compel you first, that's why you have to wear and drink vervain" she reminded them, looking around the place "as soon as they're busy dealing with the vervain..." she saw a thick twig not too far away, she raised her hand and the material instantly fled towards her, landing on the palm of her hand "You drive wood through their hearts and don't let go until they're gray marble stone" she moved her hand swiftly and pretended to stake someone, staring into their invisible eyes.

Rhena pursed her lips and stood back straight, clearing her throat. She was training them to kill vampires, to be something they were not. But what else could she do other than ensure their safety.

"Let's just hope you don't encounter one" she smiled slightly at them.

    "Have you ever killed one?" Indira asked, tilting her head. Asher looked at her, questioning the same thing.

    Her mouth dried at the thought of it. She had done more than that "yes" she nodded quietly.

    "Do you regret it?" Asher furrowed his eyebrows, trying to find her eyes, but they were elsewhere.

    Rhena opened her mouth to respond, but a loud klaxon interrupted her. They all looked at each other, knowing who just arrived.