.twenty three.

"Need Meat, gone fishing." Y/n read from the sloppy note Sokka placed next to Appa early this morning.

"That's interesting from a boy who almost never had to work for anything." Y/n scoffed under her breath. She crumpled the note in her hands and sighed in frustration.

"This is good. I'll finally have some time away from him." She sighed.

"Um, y/n?" Katara called out, a concerned expression on her face.

"Yes?"

"Whats- whats the deal with you and Zuko? You two seemed pretty close when you were trying to capture Aang." She said.

"Yeah, you even told me you loved him, but now you seem so angry with him." Y/n eyes softened, her vision clouding with tears.

"Is that what it looks like?" She asked, her voice trailing off. Her hard exterior was melting, leaving behind the defenselessness of a child. Aang softly approached her as her gaze was pointed at the ground.

"Hey, dont cry. Talk to us about it." He said softly, leading her to sit with the girls, the Duke, Teo, Haru, and himself.

"Its a long story."She sniffed, folding her legs to sit up straight.

"If its you, I'm sure its worth listening to." Katara stated. Y/n took a deep breath, dabing the paint from under her eyes.

"The earliest memories I have, are with Zuko. When we were children, we were inseperable, I cared for him more than I did anything else. We spent everyday in the castle running, and playing, and singing, and dancing. He was my only solace."

"So you're a royal?" Toph asked.

"Not at all. I was an orphan at the time, or atleast that's what Fire Lord Ozai told me. In reality, I was stolen from my home by fire nation soliders, I was so young that I didn't remember anything before my life in the palace, so it was easy for them to tell me my people were killed by the earth nation." She sighed.

"They didn't keep me for pity. I was a wepon. Ozai saw something in me that he didn't see in even his own children. I trained everyday, vigorously. I think I have a scar from every day that Zhao beat me into the ground. Then one day, Ozai said Zuko was making me soft, and that in turn I was nurturing him too much. So he sent me away for even more training. For the first time since I could remember I was gonna be away from the sweet little boy that kept me grounded. The night he told me was my last night in the fire nation for a while, so of course, I spent it with Zuko."

"And that night, he told me loved me. And I loved him too. We made a promise, that things would be same when I returned after my training, that we could be together again. I guess I was foolish to think that would happen." She chuckled, rubbing her eyes softly.

"I spent six long years training undercover in the water and earth nations, that's how I meant Yue. Six years of being forcefully molded into something I wasn't, six years of open wounds, six years of counting days and crying myself to sleep. Then finally, I was to return to the fire nation. But then when I arrived, Zuko was gone. He had been banished from the fire nation."

"Banished?" Aang asked.

"He slipped up, and his father burned the side of his face and banished him, never to return. The only way his father would consider taking him back is if he captured the Avatar. Back then, no one had even known the Avatar was alive, Zuko had been looking for years with no hope." She said softly.

"So that's why he was so relentless." Katara mumbled.

"The Fire nation meant nothing to me if Zuko wasn't there, so I fought, and fough, and fought, until I finally escaped. Then I just... wandered for a while. Until one day, I just happened to spot Iroh at a shop, accompanied by a tall young man. I followed them, and right after I reunited with Iroh, he reunited me with the young man, who was Zuko. He looked different, his head shaved and a large red scar on his face, but I could still tell it was him. I reached out to him, and he pushed me away, as if he'd never known me at all. And just like that, the soft exterior of the sweet little boy I used to know, were now the hard edges of a guy I had never met before." A tear slipped down Y'n's face as she angrily huffed. She calmed down a little as Haru placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I convinced him to take me with them on their ship. At first he was standoff-ish. I even asked him if hed missed me at all, and his only reply was that he had changed. But I didn't care. And soon, he started opening up to me, saying little sweet things that remimded me of our happier times before I would push him too hard and he would close up again. Then we lost the ship and the crew, and it was just Zuko, Iroh, and I against the world. While we were ruffing it, I could tell that Zuko was.... figuring himsef out, becoming a better version of himself. There was one point where Azula tried to trick him into returning to the fire nation. I didn't belive her, but he did. He was so ready to return without me, so I let him go, and I told him that I kept the promise we made, and that was it."Y/n took a shaky deep breath.

"Anyway, Iroh decided it would be best that we travel to Ba Sing Se. There was a lot of stuff going on with the trip there and this kid named Jet, but soon we were living in the city, working in a small tea shot on the poor side of town. Then Iroh got offered his own shop, and we were relocated to the wealthy side. Then one night, Zuko came back horribly sick. Iroh said he was having ning some type of inner turmoil. I kept him by my side, made sure he slept and ate well. And soon, he was an entirely new person. He was smiling, happy to be where we were, just genneraly elated about life. I was finnaly seeing the side of him I missed so much, and I realished in it. After that, I dont really know what happened and why. We were invited to the earth kingdom palace and attacked once we got there. And that's when we met you all." She said, gesturing to the kids that were still listening intently.

"That day, Zuko was given a choice. And he chose his honor over his uncle and I. Zuko returned to the fire nation as a hero, and we returned as prisioners. There was night where Zuko visted the prision cells. He tried to tell me that I was at fault for not returning hand in hand with him. Then he said that he kept his promise. I was so... upset. How could he... I loved him. How dare he say that he loved me at the same level as I did him, but treat me the messed up way he did. I was so conflicted, I blew up on him, yelling and screaming, he even has a little scar on his hand from where I burned him." Y/n was shaking uncontrollably, tears flooding her eyes as her voice cracked. Bringing her hands around her body to hug herself, y/n sighed.

"I told him I hated his guts, and I had never seen him so hurt. But I didn't really care, I had never felt his remorse for all the times he hurt me. He never returned to the cells, and on the day of the eclipse, Iroh and I busted out of jail. He gave me a map and told me to find my home. And that's how I stumbled apon the Sun Warrior tribe. That's where I found my mother and father, who I thought were dead. I finally had a family of my own. I was happy." She sniffed.

"Not even two months after me being there, guess who waltzed in and disrupted the peace?" Y/n asked, pointing her gaze at Aang. He rubbed the back of his neck shyly.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about that." He mumbled.

"Its fine. But now suddenly, Zuko wants everything to be the same as it was before, like nothing ever happened. I dont want him to have that satisfaction. I love Zuko, I really do, more than I love anything else. But I'm tired of having my heart broken by someone who doesn't care about me." She sighed, wiping her red eyes.

"That's terrible y/n. We really misjudged you." Katara chimed in.

"It's fine, I can't change what happened. I can only move forward."

Y/n jumped a little when she felt a set of arms around her, then another, then four more, It was a sweet group hug, y/n had never had one of those before.

"Thanks. I guess I'm being silly, huh? I came here to train Aang and that's it." She stated calmly.

"And speaking of that. you've gotten out of training for long enough Aang, we should get started."

"Are you sure, y/n?"

"Very, I need something to distract myself."