Chapter 52 - CELL INSPECTION

Jake had an idea about how he could help Danny pay the money ''when my parents visit I'll ask them for the money'' he said. Danny was surprised at this idea ''Do you think they will be ok with that?'' he asked fretfully ''it is a lot of money Jake'' Jake nodded his head and felt confident that they would be fine with it ''I know they will be cool with it Dan, I am their boy and they are just glad to know I am alive and now I'm in here at least they can visit me and help me. I know if I tell them I need the money they will give it to me''

''How will they get it to you? I doubt that our lot is allowed to take £1k from our visitors, they will have to find a way to smuggle it in so that the screws don't find it''

''We'll sort something out man, ok, just relax'' Jake could see how scared and worried Danny was and he was trying his best to put his mind at ease.

The two young men were bored in their cell with nothing to do. They had a television in the cell but they could not find a single thing worth watching. They had books but Danny had read all his and Jake was stuck on Chapter 2 of a book he couldn't get into. They both tried writing letters but couldn't find much to write about.

''I wish they would let us out in the yard more often'' Jake said ''An hour a day just is not enough, I want to get out there and feel the breeze and play some football''

''Me too'' Danny agreed. The barren yard of concrete and walls wasn't much to get excited about but it was better than being in the cell and the lads got to play football and have a bit of a laugh

Unexpectedly, officer Reynolds arrived along with the governor Mr Ferguson ''On your feet boys'' Officer Reynolds demanded ''the governor is here to talk to you''

The two of them shot up at once and stood with their hands behind their backs and heads slightly bowed as the governor walked into the room. He was a big imposing man and they had been told he was ex-army with a strict attitude to discipline. Ferguson stood and stared at the two young men ''I have come to carry out a cell inspection'' he informed them ''I inspect every cell once a week to make sure it is kept tidy and clean. Mr Reynolds also warned me that you two had shown signs of laziness already and your cell might not be up to the standard I expect and that's a very bad thing for me to hear. I can only hope maybe he is wrong about it because there will be serious consequences if he isn't. Understood, boys?''

''Yes Sir'' a nervous Jake and Danny both said together

Ferguson started his inspection of the cell while Reynolds stood with a nasty smirk on his face. Ferguson looked inside the wardrobe and shook his head with dismay ''clothes just dumped in here, not folded up neatly. this is a disgrace'' Ferguson carried on searching and ran a finger across the top of the wardrobe ''you boys dust in here do you?'' he asked ''Yes Sir I swear we dust'' Jake told him. Ferguson showed Jake his finger with the dust on it ''Do you? Well, you don't do a very good job do you?''

Next Ferguson had a look at the boy's beds ''I can see neither of you bothered to make your beds this morning'' he said to them ''you are lazy and dirty and clearly you like living in a pigsty. Well, it's not on boys, not in my prison. In here you must not live in a bloody pigsty understood?''

''Yes Sir'' they said

Ferguson got up close and personal with them which made them feel extremely uncomfortable. He looked at their faces and ran a finger across the stubble ''You need to make sure you shave every day too lads'' he told them ''I can see you need to improve on your personal hygiene too''

''Yes Sir, sorry Sir. We forgot to shave today Sir, I know it's bad but we really are very sorry Sir''

''What do you think will happen to you now?'' he asked them

They both paused before answering ''We'll be punished now, Sir?'' Jake said, at last, feeling a little scared

''Yes that's correct, you boys are not as dumb as you appear. You will both lose your visiting and phone call allowance for 2 weeks''

Jake and Danny glanced at each other fretfully ''please Sir not our visiting allowance'' Danny pleaded ''Jake really needs to see his parents, Sir''

''In that case, I'll make it 1 month instead'' Ferguson told them ''that's what happens when you try to argue and complain, Jake and Danny were both bowing their heads and grimacing heavily now ''The punishment won't end here'' Ferguson told them ''Mr Reynolds will take you both for 1 hour of physical punishment in the exercise yard every morning for a month''

''Looking forward to it boys'' Reynolds said to them ''And afterwards you will both need a shower to get clean and that's when you will both enjoy a freezing cold shower every morning for a month too''

Jake and Danny were grimacing more and more now, heads bowed even more ''Now lads don't look so sorry for yourselves'' Ferguson told them ''you get what you deserve and it will toughen you both up and teach you a bit of discipline'' Ferguson surprised them by taking a metal ruler out of his pocket ''and now you can both hold out your hands for 6 hard strokes each with the ruler. Jake, you will have 6 strokes on your one hand and for you Danny there will be three on each hand''

Jake and Danny were seriously taken aback by this ''Erm Sir are you actually allowed to do this?'' Jake asked him ''I mean like I thought corporal punishment was not allowed anymore in prisons Sir''

Ferguson and Reynolds found this very amusing and both laughed their heads off ''I like this kid'' Reynolds said at last ''he is so naïve and dumb. He is hilarious and he makes me laugh, he is great entertainment. Both of these silly boys are funny and clueless. We will have to explain and teach them everything, they know nothing yet''

''It's ok I will explain it to him'' Ferguson said ''in here I make the rules and some things aren't supposed to happen but they happen anyway because I am in charge and I want to do it so hold out your hands at once before I lose my patience''

''Yes Sir'' Jake and Danny held out their hands for 6 hard strokes each, 3 on each hand for Danny and 6 on one hand for Jake they knew that Ferguson and Reynolds were enjoying themselves as they laughed and grinned as they saw both boys screw their faces in pain and then rub their hands together in pain afterwards, It was worse for Jake, 6 on the same hand was more painful than three so Danny had it a little better but it still hurt Danny a lot too.

To their surprise, the punishments didn't even end there. Afterwards, Ferguson instructed Reynolds to remove the television too ''No TV for one month boys!'' he told them ''For the next month I expect you both to learn how to keep this cell clean and tidy, then maybe I will let you have your TV, Visits and phone calls back and maybe the punishment exercise and cold showers will stop too. If not they can go on longer until you do. Understood?''

''Yes Sir'' they both said

When they were alone again Danny couldn't hide his concerns ''I don't even care about the one month of punishment exercise and cold showers and 1 month without crap TV, fucking bring it on if they want to. But what the fuck will we do with no visits or phone calls, how will we get the money now to pay the debt?''

Jake was worried too, he had no idea what they would do now. He had been counting on seeing his parents and getting their help but now that wouldn't be happening for at least 1 month.