Chapter 10

Miles POV:

I came to Mr. Villatoro's office to join him for lunch as he wanted to discuss some business with me.

His firm served as the hospital's legal representation. As a resident who just transferred from another hospital I needed to sign the work contract I agreed upon with the hospital.

I arrived to the law firm a little earlier than expected.

Greeted by the receptionist, I walked down the hallway passing different offices until I saw one with Mr. Villatoro's name on it.

I knocked and heard hesitant "come in". I opened the door to see Pablo and a beautiful woman wearing an all pink ensemble. The pink complemened her features nicely.

I spent no time checking her out, and it appeared that she was doing the same.

It looked like she'd been crying. I wondered if something happened to her. She looked sad almost as if she was drowning in pain and didn't know how to come up for air.

Hurt, and sadness lurked in those brown eyes. It made my jaw clenched, I wondered who hurt her. She was in suffering, and I felt really bad.

Pablo introduced the beautiful stranger as Vanessa his close friend. Her name just glided off my tongue effortlessly.

I went to shake her hand, and I felt sparks the moment our hands touched. Was this a sign? I wanted to get to know her better.

When I told her it was a pleasure to meet her, I meant it.

When Pablo asked her to join us for lunch I wanted her to accept. To my disappointment, she declined but not before asking me if I wanted a muffin.

It was delicious.

Vanessa left as soon as she could. It seemed like she was eager to leave.

Had I done something wrong? I probably scared her with all the staring I was doing.

When Pablo returned after taking Vanessa to her car, he got to business.
"Since you're a resident, it's my responsibility as the hospital's general counsel to make sure that you understand how to mitigate malpractice lawsuits."

Vanessa's POV:

I woke up very early the next morning in a panic.

I took a hasty shower and changed into some clothes I had lying around in my old room.

I rushed out the house, leaving my dad and Helena a note apologizing and that I had to go to work.

I got home, and did my morning routine and quickly changed without waking up Tam.

Before I could walk out the bedroom door, Tam woke up.

"Morning Vanessa." Her voice groggy from just waking up.

"Morning Tam. I have to go to work. Pablo and I are meeting at lunchtime so that I can file there. I'll make dinner tonight."

"That's great. And Vanessa?"

"Yeah?"

"Did they like the muffins?"

"They were a hit." A huge smile went across her face at that before she fell back to sleep.

I made it to my car in no time, I grabbed a quick breakfast of croissant sandwich and a cup of coffee.

I parked in my office's parking lot and greeted Lucy, our receptionist.

I walked towards my office until I was stopped by my boss informed me that due to my promotion I was being moved to a bigger office.

I had to move all my things from my old office to my new one.