Chapter XIX

"Cass!" Varian put out a hand, not wanting to believe that she was truly the bad guy.

"Varian, don't get any closer!" Rapunzel held him back. "Hide the scroll. We cannot let her get her hands on that incantation."

"But the scroll is worthless without the translation key," Varian said and Aqua nodded.

"Well, then it sounds like I need two things." Cassandra pulled her sword from her back and got ready to attack.

"Get that scroll out of here! Blondie, I got this!" Eugene ran up the stairs and attacked Cassandra but his sword shattered with the first blow.

Eugene looked at his shattered blade and realized it too late. "Her armor is made of the rock!" Eugene announced as he was kicked off the stairs, but Lance and Max broke his fall.

Cassandra glowered before seeing the giant metal ball above her. She smirked and jumped up, slicing through the bar that kept the metal suspended.

The ball rolled down the stairs which made Eugene, Max, and Lance all run away from it.

Rapunzel pulled Varian and Aquaria out of the way with her hair.

"Give me that scroll, Rapunzel!" Cassandra demanded as she lunged at Rapunzel, her sword meeting Rapunzel's indestructible hair.

"Cass, let's just talk," Rapunzel tried, not wanting to fight with her best friend.

"Oh, sure, let's have another chat about how my mother chose you over me!" Cass sneered, hatred flooding her tone.

"Cass, Gothel took me and held me against my will. It wasn't my decision, you know that!" Raps defended, desperately wanting to make Cassandra see reason and become her friend again.

"Was it your decision to push her out a window?" Cass spat out and Rapunzel gasped, pushing back hard against Cassandra.

Cass pushed up and shoved Rapunzel backwards.

"You weren't there! You have no idea!" Rapunzel felt her heart breaking as she looked at Cass.

"Then why don't you make me understand?" Cass glared at Rapunzel before Ruddiger jumped at her.

Aquaria gasped and was about to jump in, but Varian held her back. Ruddiger climbed all around Cassandra's head.

"Get off!" Cass growled as Ruddiger pushed off her and ran towards Varian, grabbing the scroll from him before running off.

Cass ran after the raccoon and Rapunzel whipped her hair at her, grabbing her ankle which caused Cass to fall.

Varian looked at Aquaria and she was looking around frantically.

"We need to destroy the key, Varian. Without it, Cass won't have the third incantation," Aqua said to him.

"But what if she deciphers the scroll on her own?" Varian panicked and they hid behind the table that had been knocked on its side.

"We can worry about that later! It'll at least buy us time," Aqua said urgently and Varian nodded.

Varian grabbed some chemicals that were still in tact and started to mix them together to get a concoction that would get rid of the key on the wall of the chamber.

"Hey, Varian?" Cassandra whistled before she sliced the table in half between Varian and Aquaria.

The two sprung up and Aquaria made a sword out of water that froze in her hand.

Varian backed up with the beaker in his hand and Aqua ran at Cassandra.

"Get out of my way, Squirt," Cassandra growled, her sword breaking Aquaria's ice sword with one blow, but Aqua wasn't about to give up. "Stay down!"