ii. chapter two.

^^
( play the music video right now as you read the flashback. trust me you won't regret it hehe )

ALL THE PRETTIEST ROSES IN THE ROOM AND I'D STILL PICK YOU.

—

FLASHBACK: New Orleans, Louisiana - 2024.

Hope = 12
Calista = 11

The story began with two girls running aimlessly through the darkness, figures swallowed by the trees and only the moon to guide their steps. It was storming out, rain catching in their hair and thunder roaring every two minutes. The sky was dull, greyed over, and yet the stars were shinning brighter than ever, like sprinkles of flickering lights. But it didn't matter, none of it did. It didn't matter that they were drenched head to toe with mother nature's beauty of tears or that their socks and shoes were wet and they were very likely catch a cold the next morning. It didn't matter.

Because they were chasing after the fantasies that both their hearts possessed, with hand in hand, like always.

"Faster, Hope. We don't have time for dilly dallying." Calista shouted at her bestfriend as she flew past her, giggle like music to Hope's ears as she shook her head and fastened her pace. They had been running breezily, spinning and clumsily tripping over sticks and small rocks through the dark, feeling nothing but freedom to intoxicate them. Nothing but each other to cling onto.

"I have smaller legs than you, stop taunting me." Hope proclaimed and threw her friend a mischievous pout. Calista lightheartedly snickered and glanced at the sky, her eyes melting with the clouds. Her legs carried her faster but this time, she laced her fingers with Hope's to prevent her from falling behind.

Hope blushed.

"It's not far now." Calista belted out happily over the clunking of rain, heart beating a million times faster than usual. The two girls sprinted down a hill, well more than stumbled and rolled down the hill but either way, they stood at the bottom covered in mud and grass with mouths falling agape at the cave before them.

"Wow, it's beautiful." Hope mumbled, blue eyes lighting up and her smile blinding. Even in the darkness, Calista could see the world brighten with the grace of Hope Mikaelson's smile. It truely made Calista feel at home.

"Let me show you something even cooler." Calista whispered to the older girl, snaking her arm around Hope's shoulder to guide her along the way. Hope's face was hot with the closeness of the two girls and unknowingly leaned into Calista's side, gathering her warmth.

Calista led them into the first half of the cave then deeper until all the light vanished and only a pitch blackness surrounded them. Hope never liked the dark so she shifted closer to the witch and held her breath. "Calista.." Hope was about to question the witch on why she was led here but the question answered itself when small golden lights danced around them and just like that, millions of fireflies were effortlessly swarming through the air, revealing themselves from the darkness that no longer remained.