Important Author's Note. Please Read.

Disclaimer: Includes possible triggering information in regards to school shootings.

To you,
You amazing, incredible, person.

I feel weird ending this. Dark Phoenix has been my little baby for so long now that I don't know what I'll do without my weekly updates.

First of all, the support that I have received this year has been absolutely insane. I never thought that I could ever be living a dream of mine, but I am. I am because of you, reading this right now.

Without you, none of this would be possible. I wish I could reach through my screen and give you a hug. I honestly will never be able to show you how grateful I am for you contributing to my dream coming true. Nothing I say will ever be enough for all the beautiful messages I receive daily and all the hilarious, kind and loving comments that keep me entertained every time I open Wattpad.

So, thank you times a million.

If you start having withdrawals from Dark Phoenix, don't worry! My new story, Summer to Remember will begin next Monday (July 13th, 2020)! I'm so excited to share it with you, it's a story that I've loved creating and I hope you love it too. I'll be following the same updating schedule as Dark Phoenix (two chapters every Monday and Thursday). Hopefully I'll be able to stick to it, however I do have exams coming up in November so when we get closer to that month, I may be slowing my updates down for a while. But we'll see how I go!

On a more serious note, I wrote Dark Phoenix when I was inspired by a TED talk by Sue Klebold, which I stumbled across on YouTube (video linked further below.)

Sue Klebold was the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of the two shooters from the tragic Columbine School shooting in 1999. In her TED talk, Sue speaks about how she spent years picking apart her family life, trying to understand what she could have done to prevent her son's actions. Although Lonnie's story may be a work of fiction, the emotions and struggles are very much real. Lonnie's story was inspired by the pain and confusion in which Sue felt when she learnt of her son's crimes. I wanted to write a story from the perspective of someone who had been impacted as a family member of a shooter, to understand how it can change their lives forever.
Much like Lonnie planning to help others as a psychologist once she graduates, Sue now works as an advocate for brain health awareness and intervention.

In saying this, I must clarify that I am not taking away from the pain of those who have suffered as victims or family members of victims. I cannot comprehend how devastating and heartbreaking it would be for families to lose someone so innocent to a crime this saddening.

Victims of school shootings since Columbine, 1999. (2018)

Source: The SAN Diego Union-Tribune

Despite never experiencing one myself, I know how damaging and heartbreaking school shootings are. Since the Columbine High School shooting in 1999, there has been over 240 school shootings (as of April 2019).

Source: WestWorld

Source: WestWorld.com

I wanted to write about something that I'm quite passionate about. I've always been grateful for the gun restrictions in Australia. I hope that I have done justice and have respected those who have been affected in any way by school shootings.

I wake up grateful everyday that because I live in Australia, I will likely never experience something so horrific whilst receiving my education. It deeply upsets me that some of you may know, or have experienced a shooting. I know it may not mean much, but I am always here to talk if you need me. ❤️

I saw an incredibly moving film a few years back called 'I'm not Ashamed' about Rachel Scott, one of the victims from the Columbine shooting. It's a beautiful film but as a disclaimer, it could be quite distressing to some people. (Trailer below.)

Thank you all for coming on this incredible journey with me,

I love you forever,

Madi xoxo

I'm not Ashamed trailer ❤️

"My Son was a Columbine Shooter. This is my story", TED talk by Sue Klebold.