Chapter 8 (new)

Phaedra

Phae was still thinking about the girl she'd left behind as she approached her group of friends outside the assembly room. An already depressing sight was made worse by the addition of pink, white, and red streamers decking the halls. Hearts galore. Ugh.

And Xia working a kissing booth. Great, really great for all kinds of reasons. Phaedra knew at least five lost causes who were going to kiss somebody for a dare and be out for the rest of the season.

"Any of you dumbasses use the kissing booth, you'd better kiss the quiet one. Otherwise, don't do it. We have a game against the Brewster School in a week. I don't want anybody down with mono."

Sable grunted. "We're smarter than that." Let the Student Council be over the booth, she'd just bet Sable lost her marbles in that case. Phae let her glare speak for itself.

"It happened this time last year. None of us are smarter than that." That was the year Phaedra stopped dating hockey jocks. "The cutie with the hoodie or no dice."

Rabi flicked a sly look at her. "Somebody's got a girlfriend."

"Somebody's about to get stuffed in a locker. Wonder who that could be?"

Rabi scuttled behind Mickey's shoulder to hide. Phae probably wouldn't get handsy but it was a risk when she was in a mood. Finding out her main squeeze was handing out kisses like cupcakes was not great for her mood. 'Maybe,' said that annoying voice inside that sounded like her best friend, 'if you asked her out she'd just kiss you.' She hated that voice sometimes.

"Exactly. Now, are we going to assembly or skipping for pie? I'm dying for key lime." In her family, emotional turmoil meant food. Phaedra needed food.

Mickey tossed an arm over her shoulder. "You're speaking my language, mami. Text Tré, she's driving."

"Heard and heard. Let's blow this popsicle stand."