✞ E I G H T ✞

CHAPTER EIGHT ; KIMBERS VIST

AFTER BETH HAD walked a ranting Polly home she had hurried to the Garrison to do her first shift back. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open when she stepped into the pub hearing a loud course of men singing. Harry smiled from behind the counter waving Beth over. She walked over to bar only to find Grace about to walk into the private room with a bucket of beer. "Your off for the night Beth. Start tomorrow." Harry shouted.

Beth nodded and was about to stop Grace with her beer bucket and do it herself but instead let Grace walk in, too tired to start an argument and instead stood behind her at the door. "Did you want whiskey as well?" Grace asked picking up glasses from the table to fill with beer. "No just beer." Tommy muttered stubing out his cigarette. Arthur glanced into his cup of beer his eyes never leaving it as he began to speak.

"No whiskey? Are you expecting trouble Tommy?" Before he could answer John cut him off. "Jesus Christ Tom, why would you let them sing? They sound like strangled cats." Tommy let out a dry chuckle. "And what did make you change your mind, though tommy?" Arthur teased, a knowing grin on his face as he looked over at John. Tommy glanced up at Grace quickly thinking he was sly but never answered the question.

"It's about time tommy." John teased, catching his brother in the act. "Time for what?" Grace walked out carrying the bucket, her eyes wearily landing onto Beth who stood behind her with a cold glare in her eye. Beth never spared her a glance as she walked into the private room. Tommy's eyes closed as he cringed, just as Beth walked over sliding in beside Arthur. "Well carry on, time for what?" Beth snapped, picking cards from off the table and beginning to shuffle them in her hand.

Arthur coughed awkwardly handing his drink into Beth's hands who looked like she needed it more than he did. "Time you took yourself a woman." Beth downed the drink in her hand and Tommy's eyes sunk down to his lap. He knew he had to pick, and he knew who he would chose but tommy needed grace in his plan and he couldn't tell Beth that incase it all went wrong.  "Just play the bloody hands." Tommy spat.

"You stay the way you are Tommy. Remember what dad used to say." Arthur's hand reached down and squeezed Beth's silently comforting her. "Fast women and slow horses.." Arthur began. "Will ruin your life." John coursed with Arthur. Beth let out a laugh as she listened to the pair. The moment was cut off by a large light shining in from the window and Beth stiffened, her hand squeezing Arthur's. "Coppers?" Tommy shook his head at Johns question. "No."

The music suddenly stopped and muffled shouting was heard from outside the private room. The Shelby's and Clover girl all sat in silence waiting for Tommy's reaction. A gunshot echoed through the Garrison and Beth sighed. Tommy stood up glancing back at Beth before pointing his finger. "You sit beside me out here. It's business."

As daft and dainty as everyone presumed the blonde to be, she had grown up around business, her father working with the Shelby's meant that there were constant meetings with people in their home and before he had left he had taught her well. Tommy was good at business because of how intimidating and smart he was but with a beautiful girl at his side it was no doubt that they could get what they wanted.

"Harry get these men a drink, everyone else go home." Thomas yelled, watching the garrison pub clear out. Beth had to refrain the gasp that threatened to fall from her lips at Billy Kimber stood into the Garrison, taking a step back into John in shock, who gave her a small push forward. Tommy pulled up two chairs and Beth sat beside him at the end of the table, while Tommy stood to light a cigarette.