Prologue: Seri's Choice

"How are you feeling, Seri-ah?" Park Eun Jung peered over at the girl in the shotgun seat.

Park Eun Jung was the director of Sunflower Children's Home; one of the local orphanages in Korea, home to hundreds of children from various backgrounds who had to part with their birth families for more reasons than one. It was difficult. Minus the sad backstories that most of these children had, it was saddening that they were judged based on their status in society.

The fact was, every child was given one set of parents: their birth parents. Yet, being able to grow up with a loving set of parents, your direct blood family was a luxury on its own for these orphans. And sadly, such a sentiment was underappreciated to most who had the luxury of having loving parents present in their lives up till the point of adulthood. It was a point of envy for many and also a cause of sadness to some. No one deserves to bear the emotional burden and to taste the cruelness of society at such a young age. But it happens.

Every family has its own set of problems, but to these forgotten children, family was everything.

Now, as Park Eun Jung gazed at her charge with tired eyes, she let out a sigh of relief that at least another child under her has carved a future of her own. Seri's determination since her youth has paved the way and opened doors to a chance for her to make a name for herself in society. Perhaps, if she succeeds, she would never have to live as a mere shadow of a forgotten child ever again.

"I'm ready, EJ eonnie!" Seri beamed at her favourite adult figure.

Even though she was handed the shorter end of the stick at an early age, Seri has always been a bundle of warm positivity. She was literal sunshine personified at Sunflower Children's Home. Most importantly, she never gave up on her dream; to become an actress.

As Park Eun Jung studied her charge carefully, a motherly smile slowly wormed its way onto her face. It felt like just yesterday when she met Seri at the doorsteps of the orphanage home. The girl was a tiny one and so very shy the first few months. It took some time for Seri to warm up to them but when she did, she brought so much joy to those around her. Memories of their time together flashed in the back of Park Eun Jung's mind and she ruffled the girl's hair fondly. Seri has indeed grown up since then.

"I'm going to miss you, Seri. I can't believe this is it. Do you still remember the first time you told me you wanted to become an actress?" Park Eun Jung's eyes were slightly glassy as she tried to contain her emotions.

"Ne! I was ten, right? We were watching The Classic!" Seri raved.

"That's right, sweetie. You pointed at Actress Son and went 'I want to be like her in the future!' I thought you weren't too serious about it back then, Seri-ah, but here we are." Park Eun Jung wiped at her eyes.

"Aww, don't cry, EJ eonnie! You're going to make me cry! I'll see you again when I'm on break!" Seri chirped, pouting a little at Park Eun Jung's tears.

"You're right. I'm just feeling emotional. Go get it, Seri. I'll be awaiting your good news." Park Eun Jung reached across the space between them to give Seri a tight hug. Seri's arms automatically went around her before she pulled back.

"I'm going to be fine. I'll call you, EJ eonnie! Annyeong!" Seri winked before she grabbed her backpack and got out of the car, bouncing slightly from her excitement.

Park Eun Jung chuckled as she watched Seri skip over to the lobby of the acting academy before she disappeared into the administration office. Sighing deeply, she could only pray and hope that Seri would be alright.

Everyone knew how tough the acting industry could get. In such a competitive, cut-throat environment, one would have to give their all to make it in and to stay in the industry. Seri knew all of that when she decided to become an actress at the young tender age of 10. As an orphan, she didn't have many resources, but she worked hard to achieve her place in this particularly prestigious acting academy. Park Eun Jung was beyond proud of her charge for getting to this point.