Chapter 121

"I really don't see how this is supposed to cheer me up."

       "It will, if you at least try to enjoy it."

      "We're sitting here staring at a stupid lake! How's that gonna help!?" Draco retorted.

       "It helps if you shut up and focus on the view rather than nagging!" I snapped.

    Draco looked away and folded his arms grumpily, leaning back against the tree trunk as we sat before the Black Lake.

       "Sitting here somehow always eases my mind," I said with a light sigh, looking back at the still water.

      "You know what's the only thing on my mind when I sit here?" said Draco moodily.

      "What?"

      "That you turned my hair red at the beginning of fourth year right here."

        I laughed, only remembering it now. "Well, in my defense," I started with a grin, "Fred did that. Not me."

       "Who do y — oh, right... your weasel boyfriend."

       I rolled my eyes. "You know, I really don't know why you're so bitter at him. What has he ever done to you?"

        "Hmm... let me think," he said in mock thoughtfulness. "Well, for starters, he used to prank all Slytherins with his other weasel half, and not to mention the pair of them hexed us last year!"

       "They wouldn't have if you hadn't hexed me and given me a bloody nose!"

      "And I wouldn't have done that if you hadn't punched me in the face!"

       "That's because you crossed the line when you insulted Sirius!"

       The pair of us fell silent at that. I abruptly looked away, only realizing what I had just blurted out and hoping to God that he hadn't noticed.

       But I wasn't on luck.

       "Why would you care about that Sirius Black?" Draco raised a brow at me.

       "I-I don't like people insulting other people in general," I said briskly, avoiding his gaze.

      "If you say so..." he said, but something in his tone told me that he obviously could tell that I was lying. But thankfully, he didn't press the matter any further.

We sat there for long minutes, gazing at the lake in silence. I remembered all the times Fred and I used to sit here, talking nonsense and laughing.

I remembered the night of the Yule Ball as I sat here with my head on his shoulder, and then he made me chuckle when he so suddenly said my hair smelled like cherries.

Or when last year I came out of Umbridge's detention only to find him waiting here for me with a box of cookies to comfort me.

When I came out of my daze, I realized that I had been smiling like a fool and so I shook my head, regaining myself.

I cleared my throat, standing up. "We — we better get back to our common rooms before Filchykins catches us out of bed again."

Draco scoffed, standing up as well. "I still don't know why you keep calling him that."

"Like I said," I grinned, "you really don't wanna know. Trust me. It's not a mental image you'd want before sleeping."

By that, we started making our way back toward the castle, but as we reached the entrance hall, where we had to part ways, Draco came to a stop.