chapter-24

"You okay, beti?" Her words came rolling out over the others.

I covered my mouth to prevent hiccup.

"Ma!" I moaned, just tasting the word on my tongue spread warmth inside of me.

"What's happening, Faith! Is everything alright?" Concern laced her every word.

Tear escaped my eye and I looked up to find his eyes on me.

Quickly wiping it off I turned around to hide my face from him, I approached the window.

"Ev-everything's okay, ma!" I choked on my lie.

How do I even tell her everything's been like hell for me.

"Doesn't look like it! Is this your new number? Your papa and I've been calling you for days now. You have any idea how worried are? He even tried to contact your apartment manager."

Oh no!

"He did?"

What was I even expecting!

"Of course he did. He's been worried sick." Her voice came out forcefully solid as if I was delusional or something.

But just thinking about papa worrying over me and calling every single person here.

"How's his condition now?" I struggled for my breath,"Please tell him to take care of himself. His blood pressure isn't acting up, now is it?"

"Why don't you tell me, Faith!" Her tone accusatory, "What's going on?"

I gulped,"Mama I just, its-"

"Is it about that boy?" She asked as an afterthought.

I bit my lip looking over my shoulder to find him sitting on the edge of the bed now, his back towards me.

"I'm talking to you. Why don't you say anything?"

"Mama," i turned around and looked out the window, an orange hew spread over everything visible,"why don't you trust me. It's not how you think it is."

"What do you mean, girl! Are you listening to yourself?"

I vinced at her sharp tone.

"I'm sorry, mama. I didn't mean any disrespect."

"Enough!" She said begrudgingly and I clutched the cellphone more tightly as if preparing myself for the unknown,"Now listen to me very carefully. I've been putting up with this for quite a while now yet you seem to be acting suspicious with every passing day."

"Mama how can you-"

"Quiet!" She cut me off in an instance,"Don't talk back to me. I'm not done yet."

I sucked in a long breath but pursed my lips nonetheless.

"You need to come back to Pakistan!"

I staggered back but quickly held the windowsill. My heart squeezed at her words.

"What? Mama...!"

"You heard that right. If you want me to keep this boy's issue from your papa, you better come back."

Outside the storm had tightened its hold over the will of otherwise carefree wind making the leaves on the tree branches whoosh around wildly.