Struck by lightning

Chapter forty-four: Struck by lightning (Emma's POV)

It was the middle of the night and Nick and I were in his bed with me in nothing but his shirt as we watched Thor Ragnarok. I picked the movie and I'm the one that isn't watching it. I'm just watching Nick. 

My mind keeps going back to the little jealousy fit I just had and I hope I didn't make a fool out of myself, which I have a feeling I did. I know I said he's mine and all that stuff but he's not even my boyfriend so what am I claiming? I don't have a right to do that. I should though. 

I know he's had his fair share of acting out about Liam and me but I can't help feeling weird about doing that tonight. It's not like I've never done something like that, I have. And even then, it was for him but the only difference is, he was my boyfriend and it was so much easier to explain that. 

Whenever someone asked, I could say he's my boyfriend and saying that always felt amazing. It felt great knowing he was a hundred percent mine. And I miss that. I could ask him. I should ask him. But how will I ask him? I could ask him right now. 

He turned the TV off and I snapped out of my little haze. 

"What's up?" he asked while running his fingers through my hair. 

"Are your parents asleep?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"Why? You wanna get down and dirty?" he teased. I rolled my eyes while clicking my tongue. 

"No, I just need to ask you something," I sighed while sitting up against his headboard. 

"Sure, anything," he shrugged. 

Isn't this hypocritical? Just a little? Maybe a lot. 

Maybe I could bring it up slowly. "Do you think it was okay for me to get all jealous at the party tonight? Cause I don't wanna make you uncomfortable or anything so I'm sorry if I did, I know you're not my boyfriend so I didn't have a right to act out like that but I just-" 

"Emma, in all honesty, I loved seeing you act out like that. It just confirmed to me that you care about me just as much as I care about you. Enough to fight for me," he chuckled with a small shrug. 

"Really?" I asked and he nodded reassuringly. The realization hit me like I had gotten struck by lightning. I wanted him to be my boyfriend. 

"So, what did you want to ask?" he questioned. 

"Oh, nothing, forget about it," I waved my hand dismissively. 

"You can't just start a conversation and then leave it open-ended. It will drive me insane," he chuckled. 

"It doesn't make sense and I think it's hypocritical, maybe I'll ask you another time," I shrugged. 

"I'm not gonna let you go to sleep," he gave me a pointed look. 

"Oh, come on," I pouted. 

"You know I won't hesitate," he said smugly. It's true, he will keep me awake and frustrate me to the point where I'll have no choice but to ask him.

"Would you maybe um-" I stuttered while staring at the covers, using my hair as a shield to hide my blushing cheeks. Heat rushed to my skin while he tucked my hair behind my ear. "Would you maybe want to- I don't know- be my uh-" I stammered more, "Be my boyfriend?" I spat it out. 

"Y- you're asking me if I want to be your boyfriend?" he asked in shock while I did nothing but nod slowly like a nervous little child. I wouldn't mind if he said no, he has the full right now. 

"It's fine if you don't want to, I-" 

"Yes, are you fucking kidding me?" he laughed. 

"Wait, what?" I asked in disbelief.