Chapter 35

Hey, my lovely readers!

I hope you're all trying your best to stay healthy and safe during these difficult times ❤

I read all your comments. I wasn't able to reply to each and every one of it but I read them all and I swear, my heart was swelling with an overwhelming love for all of you. You all make me feel so special that I can't even describe that feelings into words 😍😍😍

Things didn't work out with other platforms, but honestly I'm satisfied.  I have you all and this is what that matters the most to me ❤❤❤

So, without further delay, let's continue our journey 💙

P.S. There's a reference of chapter 20 in here when a pureblood attacks Henry and Faith and Ares arrives in time to save them.

Curled into a small ball, she sat wordlessly on the chair near the fireplace. Contrary to her lips, her eyes spoke volumes, brimming with emotions as they gazed longingly into the burning fire, watching the sticks twist and turn, breathing their last before crumbling into a pile of ashes. Every so often, crackling sounds would stir the deathlike stillness of the room, creating small disturbing ripples in the indefinite ocean of a stifling silence in which she had been drowning for the past three days.

She seemed to have disposed herself to this sea of never-ending darkness, leaving herself at the mercy of its waves, barely able to keep her head afloat.

Three days had passed since that ill-fated encouter. Three days since Gabriel sent a letter to the capital in Ares' favour. Three days since Henry was fed that venom through her hands. Three days since she committed two murders in cold blood. Three days since she realised that those weren't the first people to be killed by her. Three days of knowing that Ares was undergoing a trial of her own unfortunate actions.

A long sigh escaped her lips as she leaned back more into the chair, letting her eyes close for a moment.

That night, when she saw the first man's eyes turning lifeless, memories of her encounter with that maid had come swarming back inside her mind.

Her second kill undid the compulsion Ares had placed on her on their wedding night, making her forcefully aware of everything.

'When is he going to come back?'

She had been rotting away at the gigantic castle alone, with nothing but her ceaseless thoughts to keep her a miserable company.

Gabriel had reassured her repeatedly that Ares would be freed from his ordreal very soon, but she hadn't heard any news from the capital since she last received the letter regarding his ordreal by fire.

Waiting indefinitely was proving to be extremely nerve wrecking especially without Henricus at her side.

'Henry..'

The thought of Henry filled her with despair. The image from the moment he parted his lids after ingesting the venom was still as clear as the day in her mind.

His empty eyes were staring right through them as if he couldn't comprehend their presence in his vicinity. All he kept uttering on repeat was a single word, to the point he started scratching his own throat with his nails,

"Thirst.."

She had never seen him act so desperate and she wished she never had to.

He seemed like an animal at that particular time—an animal with nothing on his mind but hunger.

'God knows what would've happened if Gabriel hadn't given Henry his blood.'

A hazy image was slowly forming before her closed eyelids. Her darkened vision was getting illuminated bit by bit by the hues of a crimson trail dripping down a pale hand, into a small bowl. Soon, she could picture a low splash produced as a lone drop slipped down, inside the pooled scarlet liquid, loosing its existence in it.