Chapter 5

Two hours later you're sprawled out on Aaron's sofa with a belly full of chicken alfredo and your legs draped across his lap.

"I don't think we should finish this conversation tonight, Y/N. You look exhausted." He squeezes your leg gently. "We can wrap this up after you've had some sleep."

"Oh no, you're not putting this off again. I wanna talk it out now. How am I even supposed to sleep when I have a million questions to ask you?"

"A million? Why am I not surprised?" He sighs. "I tell you what, I'll answer, hmm, five questions, and then you're going to sleep."

Only five? No way. "Ten."

"I'll do six."

"Nine."

"Four."

You blink at him. "Four? You're going backward!"

He grins. "Three now."

"Okay, okay, five! I'll ask five."

"Well, alright, if you're sure." He teases.

"Why are you such an ass?" You giggle.

He scowls at you but it's playful. "Years of practice and that counts as one of your questions. Four more left."

"What? No, it doesn't. You didn't say we were starting!" You sit up and shove his shoulder as he chuckles at your outrage.

"Fine, it doesn't count, but if you don't start asking what you really want to know I may pass out before you get to finish."

You glance at the clock and realize it's almost 1 am. Oh shit, how am I going to get home? I can't ask him to drive me this late, he's gotta be exhausted.

"Well?" Hotch prompts, pushing your jean leg up to rub your calf. "I'm waiting."

Ugh, I have so many things to ask. How can I possibly narrow it down to five tonight? I'll just go for the most important ones.

"Okay, so I guess my first question is how exactly does this work? Are we in a relationship or-"

"That's about to be two questions." He interrupts and you kick at him lightly. He pinches your pinky toe and you yelp, making him smirk. "This is not a romantic relationship. This is more of a mentorship. I educate you. I punish you when you don't do as you're told and I reward you when you do."

I definitely like the thought of Hotch rewarding me. And punishing me, especially if that involves him spanking me again. "Is this arrangement only for work-related things?"

"Mostly, but if we're together, for example, in my house like we are now and you start acting out, I'm going to put you over my knee. I demand respect regardless of the location and you are not very eager to give it to me. Normally if an agent was so defiant and smart-mouthed I'd terminate them."

"But not me? Because you're attracted to me?" He sounds like a sexist dick.

"No. I mean yes; that's part of it. But it's also because I see potential in you. You're capable, quick on your feet and you've shown you're willing to put in the time and effort to become better at your job. I think you could be a great addition to the team. It's just your attitude that needs to be readjusted."

I don't think my behavior is that bad. I mean I've always had a little sass to me, but could he be right? Could my attitude be affecting my performance that badly?

"What if I don't want to do this? Or I want to refuse a punishment?"

"I'll be nice and count that as one question. You can always say no. No to punishment, no to a reward, no to this whole arrangement. I'll never force anything on you. If we move forward and you decide later on that you want to end this, you can tell me and I will respect your decision. There will be no discussion or reprisals; it will simply be over. However if you start refusing punishments simply because you don't want to be punished, I'll end the arrangement myself. You can't learn if you don't let me teach you and refusing punishment is refusing to be taught. It would be a waste of time for both of us."