Chapter Thirteen

Castle stopped taking medications completely.

The maid brought the pills twice a day, but I made sure he didn't take it, and slowly I started noticing some difference in Castle's behavior. The mood swings were getting comparatively lesser; he wasn't drowsy during the day and could form better sentences and appeared happier.

It was like Castle was walking out into the sun from a dull, gloomy day.

All I needed to do now was wait until he regained his memories, and that was okay. I had a lot of time on my hands, considering all I did was sit around and watch Castle playing, eating, and do some more playing.

I couldn't risk trying to find a way out of here, only to be beaten half to death. I had my legs broken before; it wouldn't be too difficult for them to kill me the next time I tried to escape.

My only ticket out of this place was Castle.

And recently I noticed him showing strange behavior whenever I was with him. He would look at me with this heated expression on his face. It wasn't innocent by a long shot. On the contrary, it made me believe he was noticing me as a man, and not someone who didn't understand attraction towards women.

Could I chalk it up as loneliness?

Perhaps, since he'd been without female company for a long time, the basic instinct was making him feel that way towards me. It was very hard to decipher Castle's thoughts and feelings just by looking at him, as he was very good at hiding them well.

I compartmentalized those thoughts and started heading downstairs when I saw Theo heading upstairs to his room. He was carrying a backpack and a bag of Burger King. And he wasn't alone...

An attractive African-American girl was with him. She seemed to be the same age as him and holding two large milkshakes. She was laughing at something that he was saying, and the two seemed to be lost in their world until her eyes met mine and she stopped climbing the stairs. Theo's eyes followed her gaze and rested on me.

"Hey." He said.

"Hi." I smiled at them. To him I said, "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?"

Theo flashed me a silent warning, challenging me to say anything about what was going on in this house. But there was also fear shining in those golden-brown eyes, fear of what would happen if I opened my mouth and spill the evil deeds of his siblings.

"This is Madison." He told me. "Maddy, this is Millie. She's my brother's nanny."

"Chandler is a handful. I'm sure you have a tough time with him." She said with humor.

I laughed.

Theo frowned, "Not for Chandler. She's Castle's nanny. Caregiver, actually."

You should have seen her face. "Oh. I see..."

Anyone would be rendered speechless to learn that the oldest brother needed a nanny.

The silence was getting awkward; I could hear the crickets in the background.

"We have burgers and fries; would you like to join us?" She asked me.

Madison seemed like a sweet girl, something that was a breath of fresh air in this house.

Theo gave her the sting-eye and, of course, I noticed the way he subtly kicked her shoe.

I shook my head. "I wouldn't want to intrude and be the third wheel. I'd rather sit in the courtyard and watch Castle count birds."

"Millie has a weird sense of humor. Ignore her." Theo said.

Madison laughed. "It's nice to meet you, Millie. At least someone in this house is interesting. I was pretty sure all the staff around here were androids."