01:34AM

Being trapped inside my mind was something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy

Being trapped inside my mind was something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. In fact, my mind probably was my worst enemy.

It had the ability to make me feel insignificant one second and elated the next, constantly toying with my insecurities for its own entertainment. Poetry was like my antidote to the poison within my mind, helping to temporarily sedate the toxic thoughts and regain fleeting control that rarely lasted.

I had never shown anyone my poems, partly because of my immense fear of their judgement, but because I wouldn't want anyone to even get a glimpse of what it was like to be me. Yet here I was, staring into Romeo's potent eyes as he held the book filled with all of my deepest darkest emotions.

He scanned my masked gaze for any sign of hesitation as he tilted his head ever so slightly, his eyes trailing down to the my journal where a poem lay awaiting to be read-

"Wait!"

His gaze shot back up to mine, his eyebrows raised questioningly. "Maybe... just don't read that one," I drawled out nervously, fidgeting with my fingers as I watched him turn the page with a cautious expression, his eyes never leaving mine.

My eyes darted down to the new page, my hand subconsciously leaning over to turn it after reading the first line. "Or that one too." I skim read a few more lines on the newly turned page, wincing at how morbid it sounded. "Definitely not this one-"

"Am I meant to read any at all?" He cut me off, slightly amused as I sighed at my own futile apprehension. "How about... you pick one for me to read? One you actually want me to."

Nodding hesitantly, I watched as he handed me my closed journal, waiting patiently while I opened a couple of random pages and skim read a few poems before letting my eyes linger on one titled: Tired.

Maybe I'm not really tired
In the physical sense
Maybe I'm just tired of life
Spending every second
Trying not to pick up a knife

Maybe I'm not really tired
In the physical sense
Maybe I'm just tired of the tears
Battling inner demons
And running from my fears

Maybe I'm not really tired
In the physical sense
Maybe I'm just tired of breathing
Searching for a purpose
That could stop me from leaving

Maybe I'm not really tired
In the physical sense
Maybe I'm just tired of being me
Covering my sadness
With the fake smiles you see

Maybe I'm not really tired
In the physical sense
Maybe I'm just tired mentally
Of being trapped in my mind
And being what they expect of me

I stared at the words a second longer, satisfied that it was one of the less dire ones before I placed the book between us, angling it towards him so he could read it.

I kept my gaze focused solely on the page, too anxious of what I might see if I met his piercing gaze that returned back to me once he had finished reading. "When did you write this?" he questioned lowly, the slightest trace of sympathy in his tone.